Sunday, July 29, 2007

THE POWER

OF THE EX


I was trying to think of something to write about (other than infected toes and dead fish and knitting and Harry Potter - which perhaps aren't the most gripping of topics!) and the first thing that came to mind is the extent to which several people I know's lives have been affected by exes lately.


One of them came home from The Warehouse and was visibly shaken from seeing the new partner of an ex shopping for homeware, which brought about fears that The Ex had moved nearby. She kept only getting half-views of the woman and had to stalk her through several aisles before confirmation was possible (somewhere in Manchester, I believe).


Another couple of friends are on that horrible puppet-like string where they can only unconvincingly say, 'Yeah - I'm better off without him/her'... but then a few minutes later they can admit the truth (with a sigh). Horrible place to be in! That place where you logically 'know' it's over, but there's still that little hopeful part of you..... which needs to be STAMPED ON AND EXTINGUISHED. The little part that, any time you get a message on your phone, still hopes it's them.


This is further evidence that the best way to break up is The Sticky Plaster method, where you do it in one fell swoop (sure, it hurts at the time) and then it's OVER. You cut all contact for a while, wallow in misery, but eventually get over it. As long as the ex is still in your life in some way, still making contact, it's bloody hard to forget about them!


I recently saw an ex after six months or so, and it wasn't too painful. Ok, so I had that brief feeling of, 'Oh yeah...... I remember why I liked you,' and feeling nostalgic about the good stuff..... but it was reasonably quickly followed by the remembering of the OTHER stuff. The stuff that made it a good idea to break-up. Anyhow, now I can happily run into him on the street and not have to quickly duck down a side alley to avoid contact (it's been done!). The potential for awkwardness has been conquered.


Anyhow.... all you smug* coupley people out there, take a second and stop and feel sympathy for the Plight of the Singles (the angst and melancholy, the highs and the lows....) and thank the lord that you are no longer one of us. I tell ya, it can be emotionally exhausting!


* * *


I have finally waxed my legs. It's been weeks, possibly even months, since I did that last. With no basketball and not much boy-contact there's just been no motivation. It has severely limited my work wardrobe (no footless stockings or 3/4 length pants or skirts without stockings) and I have worn long pants to netball for a while now.......


I am a woman again!


* * *


I am going to a lecture by one of the directors in the Film Festival (the one about a child art prodigy) with a few students. It is at the American Embassy and I have to take photo ID. Exciting! I have often gone past that high-walled, heavily guarded compound and wanted to sneak in...... While I don't actually have to sneak, I'm still going to hold onto that mind-set of being somewhere I shouldn't. It'll be like I'm James Bond, on a special mission.


I may challenge my students to

1) Find evidence that Bush is linked to some September 11 conspiracy

2) Take as many free things as possible


* * *


*ok, so most of you aren't 'smug' - but it helps us to feel better about our side of the fence to imagine you are.

6 comments:

Charlie Brown said...

Good blog. I understood it.

Not Kate said...

You are one of 'us' :)

Charlie Brown said...

I know :)

Morgan Davie said...

In my experience, the best way to break up is to get married, and then have children.

No, hang on, that isn't right.

---

This comment exists entirely to remind you about the rumpus.
RUMP
US

Got it?

Not Kate said...

It's all talk. I hear of special prileges and being bequethed things by Leon.... but nothing of substance has arisen.

RUM
PUS

Not Kate said...

privileges. i knew something looked wrong there.