The scarf progresses. It reminds me of the cover of that Boy in the Striped Pjamas book.
* * *
Me and Reidun have sprinklings of an idea to join a gym. I've always resisted that movement for various reasons. But for the first time I'm thinkin' why not give it a go. It'd be fun going to one with someone else, anyhow. I'm a team player - and if I have someone else I'd be letting down by not going I think think that'll keep me on track more.
Plus one of the things my ex-boyfriend used to hassle me about was that he thought I'd make up my mind about something, and be unmovable after that (stubborn and righteously opinionated, some would say). For example, I've in the past made up my mind about not wanting to go to the gym (without really having experienced it myself) and that was that. I think he was referring more to the idea that I never really clicked with his friends and he figured I'd given up trying after the first couple of times.
There's perhaps some truth in that - though I was trying to connect with them; my shy side just kept taking over (even after I'd given myself pep talks beforehand and plied myself with the liquor - perhaps too much). There are other exes where I liked their friends better than them. She's a hard road finding the perfect man.
So anyhow - why not do something out of character? I'm quite good at taking constructive criticism and working on it (sometimes). So I'm gonna give something a go that I had previously had an aversion to. Previous relationships can be good learning tools.
Besides which, having inadvertently ended up not playing basketball I have been living a much more sedentary lifestyle than I should. I need more exercise and I HATE HATE HATE going outside in the cold and wind and rain. So I nice warm indoor gym has its appeal.....
We shall see. It is not yet written in stone.... but this is certainly the first time I've shown a genuine interest in the idea.
Perhaps what it is really a sign of is that I'm turning thirty this year. Argh! The only consolation will be if I actually look better than I did when I was 25. I haven't set the bar too high, luckily :)
* * *
I went out to Eastborne with Ange and her flatmate, Marty today. It was delightful. Ange has long told fanciful and exaggerated stories about a mystical pub out there with giant jenga* and yummy pizzas. Turns out the stories were true!
Also turns out (not surprisingly) that I am the GIANT JENGA QUEEN OF THE WORLD and everybody else crumbles under the pressure I create. Marty and Ange lost three games each - I lost none. NONE! Undefeated. Steady-handed perfection.
Ange had an aggressive style and perfected a move she called 'The Tablecloth' where you tap a block out a tiny ways and then just whip it out in one motion. It was surprisingly successful, especially in the latter games where we included the rule that you had to take out the first piece you touched (like chess). Marty used a combination of methods and was a worthy adversary but again, not good enough.
The challenge has been laid. All-comers welcome.
* The pieces were not as giant as we had envisioned. We pictured them almost reaching the ceiling, and having to stand on a step-ladder to place our pieces on top..... The tallest tower we made probably came just above my waist.......... Still. Relatively giant.
4 comments:
Drunken Kate is pretty adorkable. :)
And don't underestimate photoshopping skills! The ability to take old photographs of your girlfriend's grandmother's wedding and make them bigger, adjusting the contrast and fixing scratches is a very useful life skill.
Um, if you happen to have a girlfriend, and a grandmother. :)
But damnit.... I can't do THAT on photoshop. My one advantage over previous generations, and it's obvious that future generations will eventually kick my ass at THAT too. Damnit.
[grandmotherly tone] At least you look happy...
Also, closing one eye is a great trick. I can't tell if you're too drunk to focus.
That is precisely why I close one eye when I'm drunk - to stop having that darned double vision. One eye works much better on its own.....
Post a Comment