National continues to sweep in chilling changes. Word on the street is that the consultation being done is lip-service - purely conducted so that when the make the inevitable change they can smugly say there was proper process. It seems futile to resist.
The privatisation of prisons is a scary prospect. If the bottom line is making a profit and cutting costs, some of the most vulnerable people in society will be royally screwed. I'm not condoning people who break the law, but I think they shouldn't live in scummy, heartless conditions (probably factors that lead to them being there in the first place). We shouldn't be a vindictive society. There are aspects of society that shouldn't have budgets as their primary concerns. I'm sure things like opening up education possibilities for inmates will be quickly chopped and parole will be given much more keenly to get 'em out and free up beds.
I'm sure there have been sci-fi movies that explored the idea of privatising prisons - and it wasn't a good thing. It'll be the police force, hospitals and education next. Roll on the changes, National.
There was an article about it on Stuff, from the NZPA. I like how the 'little people' were essentially laughed at. You can hear the frustration in what they're saying. They know whatever they say, it won't be properly considered - it's a done deal. I kinda admire them for calling a spade a spade and getting in a few insults. I think in cases like this the media could take a more pro-active stance.
I have heard legal aide is next on the chopping board and they're in the midst of 'consultation'.
This scares me. When did NZ turn into this capitalist mecca?
I studied Economics at university and saw the God that is 'The Market' and how everything will solve itself, given time and a free market economy. There was very little mention of 'at what cost?'. I think I took one Econ paper that considered public policy, marginal utility and altruism in a way that I could see how Economics could be 'nice' - but it really requires consideration for the 'little people' by the policy makers and 'big people'.
When I took a Media Studies paper that required me to write an essay suggesting alternatives for how the country could be run it was mind-blowing. It is so ingrained in our psyches that capitalism is good. Money is the most important thing. Efficiency. It had never really occured to me that there could be anything else. I think I studied how you could be ecologically-centred as a government. At first I thought it was kinda crazy hippy talk, but then I realised.... why couldn't you be?
Anyhow. Scary. It's hard to believe they haven't actually be in power all that long. Labour seems a long time ago already.
No comments:
Post a Comment