Sunday, July 26, 2009

Spree


I just went into town with the thought in mind that I had a healthy bank balance and deserved to treat myself.

And that I did. Boys may want to stop reading now.

Stop 1: Magnolia (Tory St)

Finding that Miss Wong was closed, I popped into Magnolia.
Purple Necklace: You keep necklaces forever. They're a good investment. And it was fairly cheap ($25) and the colour of the season! And it kinda clinks when you move.
Cards: Cheap way to jazz up your walls at home. I already have one from this series.

Stop 2: Eyeball Kicks (Upper Cuba St)

Print: I was in there earlier in the holidays and saw a series by some local artist. Have not stopped thinking about them - so bit the bullet and bought one. Pretty. Need to get it framed now. The artist seems to specialise in domestic scenes, done from bird's eye or high-angle views, focusing on the objects and rooms, rather than the people and faces. I like how they look - there are lots of other ones I'd get if I was feeling more extravagant. The scene seems familiar. Sushi party at home or in a local restaurant. Bottles of wine, a camera sitting on the table ready to take some snaps. It captures a slice of my life and I like how all the little objects tell a story. And it has pretty greens.

Stop 3: Madame Fancy Pants (next door to previous)

Notebook: To give my colleague as a present when she finally launches her book. It's very cute with flowers and stuff on it. I figure it's an appropriate gift for writer - and it was 15% off.
New skirt - very full, with spots. I may regret that purchase. It looks kinda different at home, more 'hippy'- maybe at least I'll wait a few kgs til I give it an outing..... The changing room in the shop was kinda limited, so I think I didn't get a great angle.... Or maybe I was feeling optimistic. Anyhow, I have way too many black/dark-grey skirts, so it's a nice change of colour and pattern. It'll work in summer and spring.

Stop 4: Frutti (Cuba St)

I love Frutti. While its stuff is not necessarily the best quality (some of it is, but they have heaps of different local designers, so it varies, and it's all pretty affordable) you can get really interesting colours and cuts.
Green top - It has a giant pouch pocket and drapes really nicely. I am a sucker for anything that comes with pockets (shirts, dresses, skirts)! Essential. I like to think it matches my eyes. And it's what I like to call a 'fat-day-friendly-top'. Can't get enough of those!
Purse -I like the vintage look fabric in muted greens and blues. I like it because it's more of a clutch sized purse - a good size for going out at night. And it has a little strap just big enough to put it over your shoulder. Bags are another thing a girl can invest in and keep for years and years. It's the kinda thing you often scrimp on, but you use it every day - so might as well have one that makes you smile when you see it (yes - I am a consumer).
Scarf - A bright pashmina. It's nice to see and it's soft to touch. And I'm sick of wearing greys and blacks every day. Bring back a bit of colour! It smells pretty too.



And then I figured I should go home before I spent any more. Hooray for being a grownup with money! I really should have gone to the shoe shop first and just bought that pair of brown boots I was meaning to get to..... maybe next week....

2 comments:

Cassie said...

Fun! Lots of good purchases there! I love the purse :)

Not Kate said...

I think I was inspired by our little purse-love chat yesterday. I don't often go out and see that many things I want to buy. Good haul!