Monday, July 13, 2009

Vicariously Happy

One of my department buddies finally got her book of poetry published (it's been in the system for over a year now - so she's had to get excited and then hold-off several times while things were delayed - excruciatingly so). I pester her every few weeks, asking how it's going cov- hast the cover been finalised? has it come back from printing in Hong Kong?

It is now safely in her hands. With her name on the pretty cover. How proud! I imagine a new book never felt or smelled quite so good.

I officially can't wait to see it - she writes beautiful stuff. I'd like it even if I didn't know and like her personally. I will recommend it whole-heartedly to anyone who likes good, economical, delicate, observant, smart poetry.Italic

That's made my day. Yay for her.

It must be a funny thing being a poet. From what I've seen they're quite introspective people, observers of life - comfortable sitting back quietly watching. Yet, their work is so intimate and revealing. How brave of them.

I like people of substance.

I know other people who toil away writing, aiming to be published in various forms, so I can appreciate what an incredible milestone this is for her. Hooray again.



* * *

As a footnote, my step-mother, the Lovely Lynne, has had two stories sold to a radio station. She is entering every short story competition out there and is branch secretary of some society for NZ authors, where she gets to email, meet with and be mentored by all kinds of kiwi authors, whose names I know through teaching and studying. She's been shortlisted a few times in good competitions - she will get there! She used to be an English teacher too :) What a fantastic breed we are.

No comments: