Wednesday, July 08, 2009

My ladder for leprachauns is being put to use. So many things to hang!

* * *

I have reinstated some kind of healthier eating agenda for the coming weeks. Report writing and many other rigmaroles of Term 2 have taken their toll of my waist-line. Having blocks of chocolate as a reward for doing school-work may be a bad policy.....

In great acts of will-power I went to two cafes in the past few days and only had coffees - no delicious counter treats! I also said 'no' to a piece of lemon and sour-cream cake at school. And it's been a whole week of NO takeaways! I am feeling virtuous.

I even bought special pants for going for walks in (my old trackpants being a little snug at the moment). They have lycra in them, which is quite scary for all involved. Anyone who fancies a weekend walk, let me know - I have always exercised best when in company (hence team-sports rather than a gym membership). I kickstarted my new regime with a Petone Beach walk with Cass and her dogs. We didn't get far, but it was the thought that counted.

* * *

Two weeks of school to go. It's a very long term - the body-clock of a teacher is set to feel tired by about week 8 (usually having 10 week terms)..... This is an 11 week term. And I have parent interviews this week and next week. The light at the end of the tunnel is looking very, very dim.

* * *

It's way more fun being the under-dog at a world cup tournament. And those instruments have the coolest name in the world.... Vuvuzelas?

* * *

I'm trying to decide how to feel for the BP CEO. On the one hand I feel sorry for him because Americans have dubbed him some kind of foreign-villain and the commonwealth side of me wants to side with the mother-land. And it's really quite emotive journalism to show him out on his yacht and demonise him for galavanting while the oil gushes. While it is the perfect image of capitalism not giving a damn, I think everybody deserves a day off.

At the end of the day I'm guessing everyone who works high up in the oil industry has sold their soul to somebody. So can't feel too sorry for him. But he did look very sad and stressed at the press conference :(

5 comments:

missrabbitty said...

how did teachers in the olden days cope with 14 week terms? still they didn't work as hard as we do...

Morgan Davie said...

I have no sympathy for BP man. That company is founded on the purest variety of colonial evil. BP comes from Persia/Iran, where among their many crimes they initiated and funded a UK/USA overthrow of democratically-elected reformer Mossadegh, in '53, and installed the hated Shah instead. The Shah's tyranny + BP's systematic rape of the country directly led to the Iranian revolution, and you see how well that worked out. BP is directly responsible for a significant chunk of the fucked-up nature of contemporary geopolitics; it is no exaggeration to say that millions of people have suffered death by violence or collateral causes due directly to BP's activities. Current BP is a direct lineage from old BP. No sympathy whatsoever.

Whoa, that turned into a total rant.

Off-Black said...

Not sympathetic for Mr BP either. He isn't exactly covering himself in accountability, and I don't think it reflects well on his judgement and grasp of the big picture that he thought it wouldn't look bad to be out on a yacht, day off or not. And 'I don't know' is simply not an acceptable answer as a CEO at a congrssional hearing. The proper capitalist crisis heroes don't take days off until the crisis is over.
In other commentary, curvy women are sexy, and vuvuzela sounds like a euphemism for lady-bits.

Not Kate said...

He just looked so sad.... and the Americans were being so mean.... :) Maybe he's still a bad-man.

Curvy is ok. Lumpy is not. There seems to be a 3-5kg difference for me. I'm IN THE ZONE with my new walking pants. I've become a middle-aged-lady in walking pants.... I suddenly understand how they do it! The shame is overshadowed by the comfort.... highwaisted comfort...

missrabbitty said...

mmm...stretchy pants...