Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I felt a bit like a fire-fighter at work today - and every time I put out one little fire, an new one would spring up.


My form class of 13 year olds have issues you wouldn't wish on a kid. Luckily none of it is behavioural and it's not issues they have with each other, but by lunch-time I was understanding what it must feel like to be a counsellor. Poor little things.


I am feeling warmly towards them right now - I even bought them chocolate, just 'cause. They're still coming to school, wearing good uniform, doing work in class. And being generally pretty nice to each other. They're like my own little band of Lost Girls (Peter Pan styles).


* * *


I am looking forward to going to the ballet! Did I already say that? I will have to wear something girly.

* * *

People who like their jobs are much more fun to be around. I have realised this in the past and remembered it again recently.

I remember dating guys who hated their jobs, and I'd innocently ask, 'How was your day?' and get either grunts or rants. You kinda stop wanting to ask after a while.

I like my job. I was out at dinner with three teachers from other schools on Friday night - it was nice. We joke about the kids, but underneath it there's definitely affection.

Quite at the other end of the spectrum, I was then talking to Damon about his work project and he has copious amounts of enthusiasm for all that mysterious coding and testing.

No comments: