Monday, July 13, 2009

80s Games

I used to love playing 'Summer Games' on the C64. It's where I learnt all my national anthems. I would always have characters called 'Leo', 'JJ', 'Joe' and 'Kate' (back in those days I was called Katie, so 'Kate' seemed very grown up).

I liked diving and gymnastics. I didn't like the running event because my brother always whined that I was jiggling the joystick too hard and that it would break. We had two joysticks - the old black and grey one which was a bit rickety and the new red and black one with two buttons, instead of just one (revolutionary).

I kinda like that you used to have to type in the instructions.... Load, "*"...... I forget exactly how it went but I vaguely recall 'list' and 'start' being in there.

Our friends used to come over in the weekends and I remember sitting there discussing which game we'd like to play first. There was Jumpman, Whiz Ball, Bruce Lee, Commando, Mission Impossible.... And then later we might go for a bike ride on our BMXes. Or watch a tape of 'The Creep Show'. Maybe go to the dairy and get some 1c lollies.

I don't get the whole Playstation culture - I guess it's not my generation. I'm all about pixels and arcade music.

6 comments:

stretch said...

It's like you stole my memories! Except we had Winter Games....

Jon said...

I vaguely remember being really pants at some of the Summer Games. I'm trying to remember what there was. Wasn't there surfing and skateboarding and hackie sack?

Not Kate said...

We had Winter Games too. I liked the cross country biathlon.

I know the game you're talking about, Jon. It wasn't Summer Games - that one just had Olympic events. But I've definitely played the one you're talking about - it was cool. I think it was quite hard though.

Jon said...

I think it was called California Games! That just came to me now...

Jon said...

I am right!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Games

Not Kate said...

True! I remember that. It had funky music.