Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bible Names = Good

This article in Stuff today seemed to me to have maybe a teensy-weensy-giantastic ethno-bias to it.

1. Good Names

Take the three names sinlged out as 'safe' to give boys. Joshua is apparently not a common name for crims to have - it means 'God is my salvation'. Michael means 'like God'. And Christopher means 'followers of the Christ'. Co-incidence? Hmm.

Then take some of the baddie names. The ones to avoid!

2. Bad Names

They danced around the topic but I know who the most famous Kareem in the western world is and I know when and why he changed his name.... He's black. Proudly black. And Malcolm X, co-incidently, also has a criminal's name, huh. And I'm trying to think of the most famous Tyrell I know.....

Though it's not just black names they're pointing out there - Britney's baby's name is in the top ten. White trash names also lead to criminality.

3. A Criminal by any other Name..... would be as guilty?

Yet there is little reference to 'other' factors. What percentage of the prison population are black? How many are from low socio-economic backgrounds? And who are these names 'uncommon' to - maybe the target audience of Fairfax? Hmmm.

Don't go running into those bad neighbourhoods preaching to pregnant teenagers that they should call their unborn sons 'Michael' and all will be well.

They maybe need to look more closely at the cause and effect there, before readers start scratching 'Luke' off their baby-names lists (not that they'd have it on their list in the first place, obviously - sounds like a mechanic or something - uh, I mean so 'uncommon' and 'feminine').

I'm sure that article caused a chuckle though. Uncle Peter pointing it out to Auntie Margaret, saying they always knew those relatives with the 'made-up' names who live out the Hutt somewhere were bound for trouble. Made-up names. Tsk-tsk.




'Clayton' is a kinda girly name. Maybe that's what turned him to the dark side..... Maybe he can accuse his parents of provocation now.....

My dad's name is 'Mervyn'. I'm gonna see what's buried under the house next time I'm home. He can't possibly be law-abiding with a name like that.

* * *

Unrelated Success

And my very unevil step-mother, Lynne, has won a writing competition! I mentioned her a couple of blogs ago. This is her first 'win'! It's a foot in the door.

She is being flown up to Auckland for a ceremony next week, her and my dad's accommodation paid for.

Very proud.

I know some talented, creative people. A lot of them are English teachers.... Co-incidence? I think not.

No comments: