Thursday, July 09, 2009

A Slippery Slope

So, having become jealous of my female flatmates padding about the house in their cosy slippers (and Cal wearing hers out to dinner), I succombed and got my own. I have had only fleeting relationships with slippers over the years and I thought it was about time I gave it another go.

I went to the Warehouse one night after work, on impulse (because my feet were cold as I drove home) and got some Ug Boots (tall ones, like Pamela Anderson wears) . I had a choice between pale pink or black. I will let you guess which one I chose.

I can categorically say that I have never worn slippers out in public (except maybe once on a dare - but it was in Newtown, they don't even look twice at that kinda thing around there). Now I am faced with the tricky conundrum of how far I'm willing to push it with public slipper wearing - they are bloody comfortable and I am finding I don't want to take them off. They a re my winter equivalent of jandals.

Last week I took a DVD back to the store in my slippers. That was a 10 second dash, drop them in the slot, kinda mission. I think that's ok. It was late. But it got me thinking that it's not as bad as I thought it would be..... I could wear them a whole bunch of places without looking weird.....

Here are my intial thoughts, being rather conservative in my slipper-wearing habits.

Phase 1: Exceptions to the Rule

1. The DVD store, reasonably late at night. Anyone else there is obviously having a night in as well and the sci-fi geeks at my store can hardly judge fashion crimes.

2. The dairy, especially since mine is about a 10 second jog away.

3. Work, but only on a weekend.

4. The Laundromat, since you are technically doing house-work, why not be comfy? And, in my recent experiences, contrary to what the movies show, you are not going to meet the man of your dreams there. Far from it.

5. Supermarket, after 9pm.



But now I'm starting to think maybe I can push the envelope - my standards are dropping. Slippers are awesome. Comfort is greater than fashion.

Phase Two: The Extension of Boundaries

1. The Service Station, I think it fits in the general category of 'just popped out to get some ______, couldn't be bothered putting real shoes on'.

2. Houses of friends and relatives. Who am I trying to impress?

3. Work, before 8am and after 4pm on a weekday. The children aren't there anymore.... maybe just keep a pair of work-shoes under the desk for the rest of the day.

4. Takeaway shops (see #1 in this list).

5. Visiting a doctor. Sick people can wear bed-wear in public. It hurts to wear real shoes....



Having thought deeply on this issue, I can see some patterns ....

Phase 3: Why would you ever NOT wear them???

1. Any time it's dark outside. Firstly they are a kind of night-wear, secondly nobody can see them.

2. If you have an established relationship (otherwise it may support crazy-spinster-cat-lady theories that are being bandied about).

3. Any time you go somewhere in your car which only involves 'nipping out'.

4. Any time speed of movement is not essential (ie - not to indoor netball).

5. Any time you do not need professional respect.

6. Any time you don't feel good, inside or out. It's like an adult's version of the 'blankie'.


I can see that even these rules are meant to be broken.

* * *

In an alarming footnote, I bought some skinny leg jeans this week (unlikely, I know, but some manufacturer somewhere missed the memo that they should only be made for people who actually have skinny legs.... and there was a pair on special for $50 that fit me - sweet! Almost all my other jeans have holes in them at the moment so I needed new ones.).

With skinny jeans, you have to wear the ug boots on the outside. I know this is very trendy, but I looked in the mirror and realised I had morphed into a Hutt Chick.

2 comments:

Morgan Davie said...

aw hay shannon nice boots eh did you hear that darrin had dumped sharlene and got back with sharon even though sharon is probably already pregnant to nick? i knooow i knoooow lets go down to queensgate and shoplift

Jon said...

LMAO @ morgue.