Morgan was right (should I ever have doubted that?). The Heart of the Game is a great little basketball documentary. I was actually physically on the edge of my seat when they were playing in the final tournament. I was quite caught up in it. Another film I'd thoroughly recommend. Possibly more fun if you're into basketball (I was surprised at how blimin' GOOD the girls are over there - it's highlight reel stuff, twisting in the air and cross-overs and finger-rolls) but I think anyone would be drawn in by the people in it. Nice little cinderella story with lots of personal struggles.
I loved that he got this team of girls to yell out 'MAKE THEM BLEED!' as part of their chant.
I also watched The Three Burials with my flatmate. It started kinda slowly, with a very confusing plot that had three different time-zones going on. But after that it got kinda quirky. Certainly not predictable. Tommy Lee Jones was nutty in a good way. My flatmate thought there was too much unresolved at the end. Possibly right.
* * *
I had my now ritual early morning text from Ange suggesting a debriefing brunch to go over the weekend's events and non-events. I pre-empted her saying 'I'll be around in five minutes' by suggesting we meet in half an hour. That meant I had time to look for clean clothes for a change. And wash.
We went to Maranui. We saw a cute little toddler walking along outside on the footpath. And he had on a cute little red tshirt and jean-shorts and a hat and bare feet. His parents were carrying his shoes so that he could purposely walk through the sand that had gathered on the side of the footpath. We liked that.
One cafe is never enough these days, so we then ventured into the city for our post-brunch coffee. Ended up settling on Starbucks again (yes, further confirmation that we care not about slave-labour and the chain-store syndrome). I got the blackberry-raspberry juice blend. I was parched. Ange branched out from her usual latte and got a banana-coconut frappa. She was impressed. Say what you want about Starbucks, but they have the best selection of iced drinks. I like a good iced drink.
The Starbucks on Willis St is a great place for people-watching.
We saw
- a lady who may have been pregnant, but also may have had an unfortunately large belly
- some unfortunately red-headed people (Ange has standards for gingas - some don't cut the mustard)
- a female couple who looked similar and we dressed the same, holding hands
- a hot guy who got a coffee and newspaper from our Starbucks
- some twins I teach
- a guy she's met before who makes chocolate cakes and is as camp as a row of tents
People are funny things.
* * *
Ange is now Aunty Ange. Her little sister had a bubby. That's fun! I don't think I'll ever get the chance to be a genetic aunty. My brother is unlikely to ever reproduce.
* * *
Only four days of school to go. And what with our end of term retirement celebrations for the principal, there's really only two and a half days to go. I think I can manage that. Then I'll sleep all day on Friday. Ah, the holidays. And figure out what to buy for Cass and Ant's engagement party.
* * *
I think I am the only one yet to be sucked into Coronation St.... I am fighting the good fight................... Peers all around me are succombing. I think I can manage turning 30 this year, so long as I haven't become addicted to Coro St. I'll still be young at heart then.
On the other hand.... I'm very much looking forward to a new series of Dancing with the Stars. What's not to like? Though, I was shocked at the news of another affair happening between contestants last year. I think if I had a famous husband I'd not let him on that show.
1 comment:
That movie may have been the highlight of my moviegoing all last year. So damn good.
Post a Comment