Monday, April 09, 2007

The sweet sweet smell of bander sheets

Pan's Labyrinth

I went to see this yesterday with Ange. We liked it. It was more than I expected. I thought it was gonna be a kids' movie, but it deserved its R16 rating well.

It was more of an allegory about loss of innocence or the blood-shed of innocence, set in the Spanish Civil War in the 1940s and centering on a young girl who sees the faun and believes she is the missing Princess of the underworld. As Ange pointed out, it had lots of elements of different fairy-tales wrapped up in it. If I knew my classics I'd probably have understood all the allusions better.

Anyhow, it was a good old fashioned gothic story. Lovely visually and some great moments of gore and torture. Takes quite a bit to have a modern audience squirming in their seats, but there were definitely a few times Ange was covering her face with her hoody. The guy with eyes in his hands was fabulous! He was the stuff of nightmares, with sickeningly white skin hanging off his bones and the blood of fairies around his mouth.....

Actually, I think this movie represented fairies in the way they're supposed to be. Kinda devious.

I also liked that I recognised the odd bit of Spanish from the 100-level paper I took at uni. 'La puta' seemed to come up quite a bit.

Can't wait to see what Richard has to say about it on his site :) I love how he personalises his scoring system to the movie he's rating (took me a while to click to that - I was thinking that scoring things out of 300 was a bit random at first....).

The next movie I'm looking forward to is Zodiac. Nothing else on at Reading took our fancy. A lot of crap looking action movies.

* * *

My favourite $3 pre-movie snack is still the roti with peanut sauce from Satay Kingdom (I could have the wrong name there) in the food court. They serve it so quickly! And you get to sit in those ornate wooden tables and chairs.....

* * *

Dancing with the Stars starts tomorrow. Jolly good! I'm not to psyched about this year's lineup though, other than Frank Bunce. I could see him being quite dapper.... Me and Ange are going to watch it together every week. Anyone who wants to join us for this ritual is most welcome.

Our male flatmates are less likely to overthrow us from our TV watching seats if we have a group of people.....

* * *

Seems to be allergy season. Me and Ange both were sneezing yesterday. Is it true that tanines are bad for allergies? I heard that once from a pharmacist. He said that drinking alcohol while you have allergies kicks them into 'turbo-allergies'. My experiences of drunken-sneezy nights back this theory up. Clayton said something about that last night too.

I should be a more well-known fact. I might dedicate some time and energy to promoting this information.

* * *

Me and young Cass are going to donate blood tomorrow. It's a good thing to do. And, of course, we may turn it into a competition. She will win though. Her blood flows like a mighty river. Mine is an ambling stream. I have discovered that you wanna drink a LOT of water before donating. That seems to up the pace a little.

It's one of the few things I do in life that I know is going to hurt but I do it anyhow - voluntarily. Usually I procrastinate about that kind of thing.

* * *

Procrastinators - the leaders of tomorrow

No comments: