Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Girly Night

1. Shopping

I went shopping today for a skirt to match my new boots (which are fairly manly flat-boots, but doggone it are they comfortable!). Anyhow, tried on a skirt at Cue which was $169 ...... and I would have had to take tiny little lady steps in it or risked ripping the seams open.

Then I went to Country Road. I have never in my life bought anything there..... but I came across the best sale ever! I bought $480 worth of clothes for $72. It was 75% off the sale price. I got two skirts, two camisoles (one of which was silk) and two tops for that bargain total!

For the record, I don't think their clothes are all that fantastic. A lot of them aren't really much of a step up from your basic shop in terms of quality. But I'm not gonna complain when I'm getting tops for $5 and skirts for $20.

And because I saved so much.... I went and bought a $150 red woollen throw rug from their home store...........

I need to stop shopping. The holidays are dangerous.

2. Watching

Me and Ange had our first weekly girly night of watching Dancing with the Stars at her flat. It was fab! We got quite emotional about it all. We were both visibly shaken when April got voted out rather than Michael Laws. Unjust!!!

Our biggest improvers of the week were Frank Bunce and Greer Robson. Always solid were Megan, Brendan and Suzanne Paul (a crowd favourite). Paul Holmes and Michael Laws sucked again. One of them needs to be voted out! Paul Holmes physically repulsed us (Angela couldn't actually bear to watch him try to look sexy doing the rumba, and hid her face in her sleeping bag).

3. Movies

I watched the new Australian adaptation of Macbeth. It was ok. The lady playing Lady Macbeth was quite good. It was a rather action-movie version. I think they didn't really cover the angle where Malcolm and Macduff were nicer people than Macbeth.... everybody had a bit of blood lust in the end. Always interesting to see how a modern director will tackle one of Shakespeare's play in celluloid though. I find it amusing how they stick to the script so loyally. In order to bring Birnham Wood to Dunsinane, the fellows hopped in a logging truck laden with wood...... That was a bit of a stretch. And the scene with the apparitions was basically an orgy which was dumb because I'd say they'd have made more money in DVD sales if it was rated under R16 and could be used in schools. I didn't like that at points they changed the script to 'modern' words (just the odd one). Maybe I just know the play too well so it jarred with me. I guess the overall aim should be for the audience watching the play to understand it.........

I also am trying to watch Saw III. I'm not so into it. I really liked the first two, but this one is becoming formulaic. Not as clever as the other two. Or maybe preceding it with Shakespeare didn't prepare me well........ Bit of a let down anyhow. Maybe since watching the last one I've become pretentious and arthousy (nooooooooo - I still love my Gilmore Girls).

4. Gomez

We may have left our run for tickets a bit late - word on the street is they're not selling any more. Damnit! Anyone for a Saints game instead?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me is thinking about going to Saints game tonight, maybe email me on naturetrip at gmail.com if you are still considering.

Andrew said...

Now I can't decide whether you've put me off seeing the film altogether, or encouraged me to see the film to test whether it's really that mneh-ish...