Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Selecting.

Here's a random photo from the archives. Damon has inspired me to dredge it up. Me and James have both grown our hair out a bit. I believe we are watching an All Blacks game on Kirsten's bed at Fish and Sam's engagement party. Something like that.

Good old Booner.

* * *

I got to select the basketball teams at school today. I don't know if I like the pressure! But both the coaches deferred to me for the final selections. I tossed up a few names..... It's not nice knowing that you could have just stunted the dreams of some young player. On the other hand, I'm sure I made a few people happy.

In both teams there were about 9 or 10 obvious choices, but hard to separate after that. I might have got a bit inventive (ie - that girl's mum usually provides transport, so she's handy to have..... that girl's never played basketball, but she's tallish....... that girl's sisters are pretty good, so she must have potential.......).

* * *

I saw about a minute of Morg and Jono's game tonight. It was confusing since they left the court, then went back on for a jump-ball, then fouled someone and the game was over. Then I figured out it was 'golden goal'. That sucks. We had to play that once. I guess it's better than a draw. But not much.

The one time we had it it was the final of our grade. And the coach was yelling at us, 'The most important thing is to WIN THE JUMP-BALL. Whoever wins the jumpball will probably win the game. Kate - it's up to you.' At this point I thought (or maybe even said out loud), 'F***. I never win jump balls! I don't think I've won one all season.'

But I'll be darned, I did win it! I tapped it straight to a player from our team..... they fumbled it and got a back-over-half call. Then the other team scored and won the game.

Bugger it.

6 comments:

Off-Black said...

Yup, oct 03. Damn Kirstens room was loud.

Charlie Brown said...

Scary. In that photo, James looks just like an ex boyfriend of mine.

Charlie Brown said...

Not that I know James, but I have heard a lot about him and I recognise him in photos and stuff :)

Morgan Davie said...

Didn't spot you. That was the worst minute of our game. We were 12 points down at the half and came back but fumbled the end, again.

Golden goal sucks. But the reason we lost was I screwed up the boxing out on the free throw. I hated myself for about an hour. FuXX0r.

Not Kate said...

Kareem felt like that after a loss at college. And his coach said, 'So you blame yourself for the loss? You take credit for it?' And Kareem said he did. And then he said, 'Well that make your an arrogant mofo. If you think you lost the game, then you're taking credit for every time the team WINS.' I think it was a slightly different context...... but there's some truth in it. No one player is ever responsible for a loss or win. It's every posession and every shot that leads up to that end point.....

Morgan Davie said...

Thanks, Coach.

I got some perspective after that hour was up. (Mostly.)

There's probably gonna be a shootaround tomorrow (Friday) at 2pmish if you're not busy. Text me.