I was wandering aimlessing around the top of Courtenay Place last night (as I often do) when, quite by chance, I ran into Morgan. I followed him to the Welsh Dragon. As chance may have it, there were more people he knew. One of those fortuitous random events! As it turns out it was recently Morgan's birthday, so everyone was glad to have run into him.
I bet Sam at pool. That very rarely happens, so I will be reliving it for a while now. He will be reminded many times. I do believe there were three of his balls left on the table when I finished. SAM IS USELESS - KATE IS THE BEST! (I never said I was gracious in victory.) He made the old excuse of small tables favouring the weaker player, but I refuse to accept that reasoning. You're only as good as your last game.
Some cranky old fella scolded Sam for having started a game of singles (on a long-empty-at-that-stage pool-table). He seemed a little strange. I briefly thought he was one of Morgan's friends..... and was questioning his judgement.... But it turns out he was just a publican, unconnected to us.
I reacquainted myself with the lovely Svend as we formed a formidable guard at either side of the door. We talked about his mammoth encyclopaedia collection and quilting. I caught up with a few Ultimate players who remembered me from my four game stint last year. I was reassured by Sam The Second that Ultimate is the only sport where you have a 'hammer-throw'...... That harks back to a question at pub-quiz that I was vetoed on. People never listen to me! And there was wee Fraser too.
For some reason I like to write Ultimate with a capital letter. It seems fitting.
Evidently their Ultimate club has expanded to three teams and has plans of dominating the world. Their tentacles are spreading.....
Richard had on a lovely shirt with a funky stripes and paisley thing going on.

I will make the next bit small type because very few (if any) people will be interested. Michelle pointed that out last night after we'd talked about 1980s basketball players for long enough..... While remembering people like Andrew Toney and Danny Ainge is fun for us basketball fans, it's somewhat dull for others.
I was unimpressed by Ben and Jono's ignorance about things basketbally :) For those of you unfamiliar with Michael Cooper, one of the all-time great defenders, here is a picture of him. As I said last night, he used to wear long socks so that his almost-blind grandmother could pick him out on the TV screen. Awwww! Nowadays it's trendy, but back then it was original.
In his 12-year NBA career, he was named to eight NBA All Defensive Teams, including five First Teams. He won the NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award in 1987. In the 1983-84 season Laker Michael Cooper ranked second in the league in three pointers made with just 38. (wikipedia). That is the best 3-point statistics I could verify, but I'm sure he was right up there in terms of 3-point shots made in playoff games (in the late 80s anyhow - before they moved it in and small children and grandmothers could start shooting them).
In my research to find those things I realised that Scottie Pippen actually is one of the greatest players ever (statistically - not just in my honest and biased opinion). He's in the top ten all-time stats for heaps of things. Good on him! I totally missed the end of his career due to not having Sky and not caring about a league where boxing-out was a thing of the past and refs seemed to have forgotten the intricacies of the travelling rule (as long as the three or four steps ending in a dunk).
What else.....
* * *
Norfolk and Chance is becoming a pub-quiz team to be reckoned with. Anchored by Sam the Trivia Man, we have developed a good wee crew. The quiz-master gives us our props as a weekly contender. This week we came second, though only by a few points.
We were only beaten by a team that's anchored by a fellow from my school. He was dux the year before I was. Smart people from Levin seem to be the common link.... LEVIN IS A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH!
* * *
My impulse-buy-blue-dress is getting excellent use. I estimate that I've won it over half a dozen times. I wore it last night to a function at school and tonight Ange is borrowing it for a cocktail party. My goal of wearing it until I get it down to $10-per-wear is within sight.
* * *
I went to Borders today, the new bookshop on Lambton Quay. Ange said it's the Starbucks of bookstores. Sam pointed out that Maori language books are filed with 'Foreign Language' books. A series of the Gilmore Girls goes for $59.99 (you can usually get the early serieses for $39.99 from the CD Store).
I do, however, like the range of notebooks and stationery. Funky colourful little numbers. I bought a notebook that has black and red and green pages in it.
And after that I got a banana-java-chip-frappachino from Starbucks.
I AM A CONSUMER! And it was a damned good frappa.
Some rugby player guy from the Bulls tried to push in front of me in the line at Starbucks. The line was obviously going back out the door, and he tried to sidle in through the side..... I stepped very pointedly in front of him when it was my turn. I'll not be bullied by tall Seth Efrican rugby players! Starbucks is the great equaliser - his fame means nothing there. We all pay $5.80 for our coffee and that's all that matters to them.
* * *
I might have a nana-nap now. We stayed out til 2.30am last night. That's way past my bedtime! It reminded me of my youth............ Back when I walked 10 miles in the snow every day just to buy a 1cent lolly at the dairy. Those were the days.
6 comments:
Fair cop, no defence for my temporary Coop amnesia. I'm arranging for a formal return of my Lakers cap, which I no longer deserve. I did note your ruthless enjoyment of the extended torture on Friday.
Pip a wonderful player...but he's only the best ever second banana, he wasn't good enough to be the main man on a championship squad. I'd hold on the deification too as he was seriously shopping himself around a couple weeks ago to nba teams, trying to comeback at 41.
(Btw 3-point line only came in for 2 years, then was returned to old distance. The travelling thing is still a problem though...)
Don't get the fine print in your post at all, in 100 years cellphones will be a distant memory but debate about Cooper and Pippen will continue - sport is an essential part of culture, nationalism, identity etc... its importance cannot be understated
I have my arguments ready for anyone who wants to say Pippen was just a side-kick! Starting with the comparison between the season before Jordan retired (the first time) and how they did the year after. There was only a few games drop-off. And that was in a division where a lot of other teams were on the rise.
Talking basketball makes me wanna see more Saints games. It went to one a couple of years back and had fun predicting that Callum Brock would leave the court 'injured' (and he did). I had inside knowledge on that one from watching my brother play reps with him.
I shoulda stolen some of the free tickets I was giving out to kids last week at school..... I could pass for a student....
Gavin might be hooking me up with some free tickets to a game or two. An expedition may be in the offing.
Sweet! I have no idea who plays for the Saints these days. I'm out of the loop since Kerri Boagni..... I think that McLean kid might play (I taught his sister a few years back).
For all his skills one thing Scottie wasn't was a clutch scorer, and he couldn't lead a team to a championship for that reason - unlike Jordan, Bird, Isaiah, Hakeem, Kobe, Wade etc. Bulls Were still a good team without Jordan, but not a title threat. And though they wouldn't have won 6 without Pippen, they would have won none without Jordan.
( I do think he was underrated, but still gotta wind you up a little.)
Quite keen to see Saints too, was going to go last Friday until other events took precedence. Usually go and see at least a couple of games each year. Will have have to sort something. Think next game something odd like 17th.
Good stuff on starting the bullying of the Afrikaans forwards hours before they get on the paddock.
I used to think Pippen was the sweetest guy.... until I read somewhere that he keeps dobermans and tanks of sharks at home because he likes 'aggressive animals'. I think he developed a weird complex over the years.....
I'm sure young Scottie woulda had something more like a labrador.... Jordan ruined him!
Post a Comment