Tuesday, August 24, 2010

To Quiz

1. Me and all of my flatmates (and other invited guests) went to the local quiz last night.

2. We named ourselves 'Crazy Cat Lady and Friends' after Carly and her antics on the walk to the pub (her cat followed us and had to be carried home, Mamma's Boy). We did not win any spot prizes.

3. I was disappointed that the quiz master was not the one from last time - this one did not wear the Quiz Master Cape with panache and he had to spell out the 'tricky' words.

4. I had fish for dinner. I hardly ever order the fish.

5. The people at the table next to me were people I'd gone to school with, all three of them. I didn't say hello though. I've seen them down there before, and once you don't say hello the first time it gets more awkward to suddenly pretend you recognise them..... I will say hi next time, though! They beat us in a tie-breaker. They are smart. All people from my town must therefore be smart. One of them was one of my brother's best friends at school. He seems very conservative, but secretly I know he has his nipples pierced.

6. It was a nice surprise when Sam turned up.

7. Reidun pointed out a guy she thought I'd like - and I'd already seen him earlier and thought that he was dapper looking. She knows my taste.

8. Apparently Danyon Loader was there, though I couldn't see him.

9. Kyle had heard the same quiz being read at his work earlier in the week - so he knew the ponderous puzzle before the first clue was even given. That may have helped our points total. Lichtenstein.

10. We all went for coffee and cake afterwards. That is not an easy task at 11pm on a Thursday, evidently. The first four places we tried already had the chairs up and shooed us away. We finally went to Midnight Espresso. I had a strawberry and rhubarb cake, which was good. It had fluffy pink icing.

* * *

I am now going to read 'The Half Brother' by Lars Saabye Christensen. I have read another book of his, 'Herman' which I thoroughly liked. It's about a balding boy whose dad is a crane driver and who has a crush on a girl with bright red hair. He's sweet. I like books with innocence and tiny observations.

* * *

I started learning how to play my ukulele in earnest tonight. I'm not sure if I have it tuned quite right. My highlight thusfar is learning to play 'Soon Forget' by Eddie Vedder. I've always liked that song. It's quite hard to play on the guitar, being barred on a very high fret, but relatively easy on the uke.

* * *

I had promised to email some feedback to students last week. I had put it off until yesterday. Three of them have emailed back saying 'thanks'. Some kids have good manners. If I had favourites, it might be them.

No comments: