Tuesday, August 24, 2010

By jingoes, it's a watermelon!

This week was fairly untraumatic (partly due to me putting off reports until next week).


Monday - holiday (sleep in, do school work in bed)


Tuesday - so long ago I forget what happened, but there was no DWTS (I substituted with House and Boston Legal, though I got so annoyed with the unsettling camera-work of the latter that I ditched it and watched some Gilmore Girls instead)


Wednesday - sports exchange in the sunny Horowhenua (get to wear sneakers to work that day and be smug and city-like to all the local hicks)


Thursday - netball tournament at school where I got to go see all my little ones play in their chosen team uniform (pjamas - one girl even wore a dressing gown and played centre in it - that's the most proud of been of my form-class all year)


Friday - had a guest speaker in from the OFLC (love guest speakers - they give out free pens and I don't have to do anything all lesson) and reffed a basketball game that made me glad to be teaching where I am (there's something offputting about girls who are up by 30 points and still make faces at me and yell out when they think I've missed a foul call but you have to feel sorry for them because their school could only afford to build half a basketball court and put a hoop at either end and could only put numbers on the back of the players' shirts so I had to keep tapping girls on the shoulder and asking them to turn around when I called them for fouls)


FRIDAY NIGHT DINNER


Oh yeah, and here's the social event of the week - dinner out with the old posse. Cassie and Ed joined forces to organise a bunch of us out to dinner at Eastern Sunrise. The food was your average Asian fare but when you put anything on a lazy Susan it's F-U-N. I got some Givertz (gonna spell that phonetically) wine. It worked well. I think Ryan was filling up my glass every time I looked away - either that or three glasses of wine is all I need to get a little loud and tipsy these days.


Ryan, bless his little heart, sat there and chatted away merrily whilst eating his protein bar (and nothing else) and sipping on his one Diet Coke. That's the spirit! He's bulking up and trimming down for a body-building comp in late September. Mark your calenders, folks! We had a lengthy discussion about fruitcake.


Ed was there with his special ladyfriend. It's worrying that she seems nice and normal - not at all his type! Anthony managed to hold the floor with a banking conversation that lasted far longer than is right for a Friday night. Ken's hair just keeps getting longer and longer. Holly mistook him for a piece of 60s memorabilia when we popped into The Cavern Club. We popped out quickly enough after finding it far too crowded for our liking - and noticing all the old men leering.


It's one of those signs-you're-getting-older when all you want to find on a Friday night is a nice quiet bar where you can go and actually hear each other talk.... and you have to settle for Expressaholic because actually a nice piece of cake sounds much better than another drink..... Though, I do remember drinking my Mocha-Latte and preaching about it to anyone that would listen. It's the only place I've ever found that does a Mocha-Latte.


Am having a very relaxing Saturday morning, having only risen from bed to put some washing on and change to the next DVD in my Gilmore Girls series. I can hear the buzzer and whistles coming from the netball courts. Not a bad day to be outside doing sporty stuff, if that's what your'e into..... Me, I'm a sloth. I might creep downstairs and make some Vogels cereal with greek yoghurt. Mmmm.


* * *


Richard watches a lot of news shows. No wonder he's so gosh-darned smart about the world.

2 comments:

R said...

It's an evil nemesis thing - I need to stay on top of the competition, otherwise... well.

BTW, when do I get my Suzanne Paul supporter prize pack?

R

Andrew said...

Wha...? "settle for Expressoholic" and "where you can... actually hear each other talk" in the same sentence?

For me, Expressoholic will always mean unpleasantly loud rubberduck techno (not that rubberduck techno comes in a pleasant variety). It probably hasn't been like that for ten years or more...