Monday, May 14, 2007

Taking Angela to a Sporting Event

When taking Ange to an event of this nature, you will inevitably have to find ways of entertaining her. She is like a small child and needs to have games invented for her or 'projects' to do so that she does not get bored.

Here are some ideas Ange came up with to pass time at Saints game.


1. Lolly Scramble
On the announcement that Brendon and Hayley were to be doing a dance at the game, Ange was so excited that she grabbed in her bag for her camera-phone so as she could evidence this siting. Of course, the announcer meant they would be dancing later in the evening (this is besides the point). In the process of grabbing her bag in excitement she tipped out half the Skittles she had nestled in an open packet in there. They flew through the air and landed in the hood of the little boy sitting in front of us. I stealthily managed to get one of them back, but there may still be some in there.


Even more embarrassing is that I was demonstrating this event to a fellow DWTS fan at work today, with my phone in my hand.... and when I got to the bit about her diving for her phone my accuracy of imitating went overboard and I accidentally threw my phone up in the air, bobbled it with my hands, had it almost land on the poor lady's head and then dropped it on the ground. Oops. Rather dramatic reconstruction of events!


Related to the Skittles, she insisted on eating the remaining ones (which she had to fossick around in her bag to find) in colour order. She has weird lolly habits.


2. Paparazzi
Another way to amuse yourself is by taking unsuspecting photos of the people next to you on said phone. This is best when they are eating a handful of tomato-sauce slathered chips and are licking their fingers between bites. This is good if they look up at the last second to see a camera in their face and have a bewildered look.


This photograph evidences my look of disdain as I saw the camera in my peripheral while trying to watch the game. As Ange says, she artfully made everyone in the row look like Easter Island statues. Lovely composition......

3. Klutz
Always exciting is the dropping of food. Ange managed to drop a ketchup drenched chip on her leg and have the sauce spread over her entire thigh. Luckily I had a receipt in my bag (no tissues) for her to attempt to wipe it off. This amused her for a few minutes.

* * *

I must've been in a very deep sleep when the earthquake hit at about 1am this morning. I remember waking up and thinking, 'Bugger - I hope it stops. I don't have pjamas on...... ' and then must've gone straight back to sleep. Didn't even remember it til Ange mentioned it in an email. I vaguely recall it being quite a decent jolt.... must've been to momentarily wake me up.

* * *

I've done fairly well to play four games of netball in the last two days. The team I fill in for seems to have cast me at centre for the entire games. This says something about their level of skill.... I get very tired. My teammates from Pity the Fool were coming up to me tonight, a good half hour after that game, and asking if I'd just played. My face stays red for aaaaages! Luckily centre is a position in much demand for the girls on my other team. I was able to hide from the ball down on Attack most of the game.


All four games were losses.... there is a trend there. Though, the first game we only lost by two and we played the entire game with five players. Not a bad effort! My boy-cousin had a shot to tie it up in the dying seconds. He missed.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Actually, it looks more like the PR photo for a rock band.

Ok, one with a slightly ecclectic line-up, and the background should fade to black after the 4th profile, but a rock band nonetheless...