The obesity article was much harder work. Lots of statistics and finicky things about BMI (Body Mass Index). I think it was trying to undemonise being obese and show that statistics that have been used about mortality rates have been biased and similar studies could be done for being underweight too.
Also comforting that at any one time 75% of Americans are trying to lose or maintain weight. That fits with my observations of people. Almost all my female friends are in that category (myself included). Even if it's just that pesky 2kgs that are the difference between 'acceptable weight' and 'slightly concerning weight'. And then there's Sam, who loses weight he didn't need to lose without even trying. Bastard!
It has put me off reading scientific articles (albeit the best American ones of the year). But I shall persevere. Maybe the one about how yawning is in fact contagious on a psychological level will win me back.
* * *
The Gilmore Girls (Series 1) has been more satisfying. Luke must be modelled on Rhett Butler. He rules. It's nice to be reminded of all the back-stories that developed over the other serieseses. And I've just met the elusive Rachel (the one who broke Luke's heart).
* * *
I went and bought espresso coffee from the supermarket and cranked up my machine for the first time in about a year.
It was good. Coffee helps me read scientific articles. Well, it helps me read them faster, anyhow.
* * *
I thought I'd lost something. But I found it under my bed. What a cliche!
1 comment:
The just-so story about yawning being contagious to make sure the group all go to sleep at the same time is pretty cool. :)
Post a Comment