Thursday, April 12, 2007

I used to have a nightie with glow in the dark stars on it.

1.
The yawning article was much better than the obesity one. I learnt that yawning is a sub-conscious act (people being watched and monitored are much less likely to yawn) and it is contagious. Also that it is often triggered by a change in your state of being (going from sleepy to awake, or awake to sleep, or interested to bored). Oh, and that I'm not alone in yawning when I'm nervous. Some people yawn just before they're going to play a big sporting event. Oh, and that babies from the end of the first trimester can be seen yawning in the womb. Cute!

There was also an interesting paragraph comparing a yawn to an orgasm. Apparently some people on Prozac trigger orgasms when they yawn as an interesting side effect.

Next I might tackle the autism article. That's an area of interest for me because my brother's on that scale somewhere (probably down the Asperger's Syndrome end) and I've taught a couple of kids with those traits. The definition for Asperger's is widening all the time to the extent where they think a fairly decent sized proportion of the population have some mild form of it - I wouldn't be surprised if I fit into that wider definition. It would explain my apparent lack of tact on occasion (so people say!).

PS - apparently even just reading about yawning, people ar more likely to yawn. Did anyone yawn while reading that?

2.
I read some bits of a thing on Morgan's blog about 'trolling'. I have no idea what trolling is but it's something to do with people who comment on blogs. I wanna do some trolling! It sounds neat. Or maybe some people reading my blog can do some trolling. It would be cool if some grumpy little guy who lived under a bridge was reading my blog! It sounds controversial. Maybe I need to write about some more controversial stuff to ignite some trolling. Like.......... eating live goldfish. For or against?

Internet verbs are fun! Spamming is fun too. Spam - it's ham in a can. Almost as good as tufting, but not quite.

3.
Having finished Series 1 of the G.Girls I have moved back to re watching Series 2. I have a whole new context for it now.

Here's some Gilmore Girls trivia you might not know unless you watched the special features (like meeee). The title song, Where you Lead, is of course a Carole King song. I love Carole King - she has so many great, simple, beautiful songs. But the trivia is that she sings that particular version with her own daughter. How very appropriate for the Gilmore Girls opening credits! They have different surnames, so you might not pick that up without watching the special features (I hope I'm not wrong there - the printing on the screen was very small).

A defining Carole King moment for me was that Divas series they had years ago. In the first series they had all the biggest divas - Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Aretha Franklin. At the end they sang Natural Woman, which is a song that has become an Aretha signature, but which we all should know Carole King actually wrote. Anyhow, at this point in the show Carole comes out for a guest appearance to play piano and sing along. And the only diva who shows her any respect or admiration was Celine. Aretha just sang right over the top of her. I used to like Aretha, but after that I didn't. And while I still don't like Celine's music, I now appreciate that she might be a lovely human being.

4.
Looking forward to Ange's birthday dinner tomorrow. I'm looking forward to eating at Matterhorn. I hear it's good stuff. And the cocktails are tops. I like a good cocktail. Especially if it has bits of mint and lime in it. I've had mixed experiences there though. The first time I ever went there, years ago, I felt very much like the only person who wasn't a Size 8 (or 'fashionable').

Then we went there on Fish's hens night looking for Jack Black. We never did find him.

Oh yeah, and there was the night of my flat's cocktail party. I was the only one out of our group that the bouncer would let in to Matterhorn (what was he thinking?) so I was sent on a search party for Sean The Large American. That was an 'interesting' night. I was lumped with The Teacher Guy. I've actively sought out guys' numbers through their friends twice in my life and both times were disasterous. One took on a mild-mannered stalker persona and the other ended a night of me giving him no positive attention with, 'So which side of the bed is mine?' I have moments of bad judgement, evidently. I blame the alcohol and flattering lighting.

Then the plan is to migrate to Mighty Mighty for more drinks and chitterchatter. I like the big red velvet curtains that make it look like a magic show. And, of course, the big jugs of Sassy Red (the beer, not Ange).

5.
My basketball game got cancelled tonight. That would usually make me happy because it would mean I got to stay for all of pub quiz night.... but nobody was going. So my two fun Thursday night events were both off. Do I sound a little sad there? On so many different levels....

5 comments:

Off-Black said...

Trolling is saying something negative or controversial for the sake of it.
Kinda like going into a room full of strangers and trying to pick a fight.

You do not want to encourage the trolls. You will never hear the end of it. I say this after seeing countless inocuous internet discussions descend into playground level name calling and idiotic bullshit.

Thanks for reminding us about Ange's.

2treesandahorse said...

Man! why couldn't I get the yawn/orgasms side effect when I was on prozac. Just my luck i got the increase sweat and weight gain side effects.

Not Kate said...

Oh. That is trolling eh. I feel sorry for people who do that kinda thing. It shows a distinct lack of social skills - there were always people like that at high school who couldn't get attention through positive means, so just went around pickings arguments.

Glad to have reminded you! I may have been supposed to text you about it yesterday to make sure you knew it was 6.30pm.... but I assumed you guys were TOTALLY organised. As you said a few days ago, assuming makes an ass out of u and me.

fish said...

We went to Matterhorn on my hen's night?

REALLY?

I don't remember much after that guy gave me his boxer shorts...

Andrew said...

Dating people on prozac would be a great idea: the worse you are in bed, the more satisfied they'll be.

And Carole King is a legend.