Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Letters

I got a letter from my grandma today. I opened it and found a card and then a 7 page letter.... I sighed. My grandma's writing is very hard to read and she tends to mention her gout and my brother's employment status a lot. Though, she has a good sense of humour.

BUT....

I found out, upon reading it, that the letter was an old one my mum had sent her when I was in about Standard Three. It's fascinating to read Mum's perspective of those days! Specially since it's like a voice from the grave. I remember all the things she wrote about.

I am going to type it out for my own posterity. The youngest child in me comes out when I read all about David's successes and then about Katie's 'trying hard' at gym and putting on lots of weight when I stayed with Grandma.... :) I didn't get good at stuff til later on in life........... I like that my mum was a procrastinator too.

'Dear Mum and Allan,

It's before 8 o'clock. The kids are making their lunches without fighting for once and I'm sitting here working out how much I have to do in the next few days. I have spent a couple of weeks doing very little for my outside interests and I have enjoyed being at home for a change. Have done a little sewing and cleaned out a few cupboards. Trouble is that things are catching up on me - have promised to have a submission to the council for a pedestrian crossing ready for tonight and I haven't started it. Meeting tonight!! And then on Wednesday I speak to a group on children's books and I haven't prepared my talk yet. Think I have to fill an hour!

Worst of all I have to make a t-shirt for David for a concert. His jazz ballet class is performing on Thursday night and he is supposed to have an aqua t-shirt. Naturally the shop had sold out when we got there. Should be fun as I have to try and make one the same as the others will be wearing with no pattern!

He looks funny in his dance - knows all the steps well but isn't sure when to change and his eyes are on a swivel to see what the girls are doing. I'm sorry now that he didn't go for his exam - he would have passed I'm sure. Kim's classes got top marks for NZ. Still, if he sticks at it he will do ok as he is much younger than all the other grade 1's (Some are high school age!). He will be nervous by Thursday night.

David had two nights out last week as his school put on a performance of 'Aladdin'. He was in the choir and had to go on stage once to hold up music. Gave us a bit of a giggle as he and his friend had on conical shaped hats and as they stood in front of the curtain the hats would touch it and lift up at the back. They would drop the music and grab hats and then grab music again. David only did it a few times but his friend spent the whole song grabbing hat and music alternately. Made it very hard to sing along as he music kept bobbing up and down.

Did I tell you David passed his Iron badge at gym? His marks weren't wonderful but the best for the club. Katie passed her Grade 2 also, but that is virtually given to you as long as you try hard! She is a trier but about as gifted as me.

Got paid back for sitting writing at breakfast time - Merv ate ALL the fresh fruit salad I had put out for breakfast. Not a nice thing to do to a person on a diet.

We have actually been getting out and about more lately - sick of staying home ALL the time. Went to the beach for a whole day two weeks ago and the kids raved about how wonderful it was. Makes me realise how little we go out as a family. It was a lovely, sunny, hot day.

Exactly seven days later we went away to visit friends in Taihape in the snow. It was fantastic to see snow falling - David ran around like an idiot trying to catch snowflakes. Kate was too busy playing with her friend Bekah to do more than give the snow a fleeting glance. We had gone all that way so that Katie could go to Bekah's birthday. It was not really a holiday for me - Sharron (the mother) is a bit muddle headed and I ended up preparing food, arranging games etc, for Taihape kids for a change! Had to come back the next day for a dancing practice for David.

We have been to the movies twice! Went to 'Mad Max - Beyond the Thunderdome' mid-week before Labour weekend and then to 'Came a Hot Friday' on Saturday night. It's lovely being able to take the kids with us.

Had to buy six birthday presents in seven days! Katie has been to two birthday, David to two and me to two (children from playcentre turning five and especially inviting me). It's been hectic fitting it all in.

Have joined the swimming club at cost of $110!!! So far David and Katie have been once each! $55 a swim so far! Merv keeps forgetting to come home in time to get them there.

Kate has decided on a Tropical Island theme for her party. Everyone to come dressed up and games and food to follow that theme! At least its is an improvement on the original which was a slumber party. Couldn't stand the thought of all those giggling girls for a whole night!! I have to make paper leis for all etc etc. Should be fun!

9 o'clock now. Must get a move on or the day will disappear!

Thank you for the money for petrol and for Katie's birthday. It won't go astray. I had one day of teaching that I actually enjoyed and none since. So there goes my source of funds. It was lovely to actually be earning a bit of money! Only $500 in all but it paid for boat tickets without us drawing from our savings and that was nice!

[on christmas holiday plans to go visit Grandma in Westport]
And you won't need as much food as last time - Katie put on nearly half a stone the time they stayed with you. She stayed that same weight for a whole year just growing taller to fit the weight! David has been conscious about good and bad foods too. Doesn't stop him eating lollies but he tends to eat less junk food and more good food - a bit anyway. I think they don't like watching me dieting - or trying to! See in the paper that it is quite okay for women to put on 20% in weight from 20 to 40. That's encouraging. Maybe plump will come back into fashion again if I wait long enough.

Really must go, lots of work to do.
Love,
Pam

And I really did forget your birthday this year. Must get Katie to put it up on the calender next year when she does everyone elses.'

2 comments:

Off-Black said...

Thats sweet and wistful, thank you for sharing it. Your Mum sounds like a cool person to know.
$110 sounds a lot for swimming now, let alone in 1985/86.
Further to my what if ramblings, one of the things I think about is what all my friends were like as kids, and if we would all have got on as kids. Kinda like 'Muppet Babies' in concept.
My parents wouldn't let me see 'Beyond thunderdome'. I'm jealous. I did get to see 'Came a hot Friday' though, at the Odeon in Lower Hutt. I so remember the getting your parents to buy your friends birthday presents thing. Invariably my friends would get something I wanted....

Not Kate said...

My parents took me to Jaws when I was 7. We kids had a good separation of make-believe and real so we didn't get traumatised (though, I could be in denial there....). Maybe it actually explains a lot....

Muppet Babies eh. I think we woulda got on. You could've played Star Wars with us. Or Indiana Jones. Or run around Play Centre in 'fairy capes' with me....