S o u p
Ange was over at my flat and had been jibber-jabbering with me and Glenn for a couple of hours, so eventually submitted to having something to eat. She asked if anyone had one of those soup packets, something light. Glenn did not.
I delved deep into the cupboard and found my 'ice-cream container of things I never actually use'. It has all sorts of neat things in it. It had a box of pea and ham Cup-a-soup. I offered it to Ange.
She took if from me wearily, saying, 'I'll just check the use-by date. I used to cull your stuff for you when we flatted together.....'
To this I answered, 'Pfffffft! That stuff lasts forever - it'll be fiiiine!'
She turned the packet over, and even I was surprised at the expiry date.
BEST BEFORE
24/11/96
That soup was probably ten years old! It was a relic! I've probably carted it through at least five flats. It's been around the country with me. It remembers the days when kids didn't all have cell-phones and the internet was regarded with awe and confusion by lay-people. That soup has seen me through a lot of life experiences. I feel like I would've been a different person when I bought that soup (or stole it from my Dad's house when I was in the hostels at university, more likely).
Angle refused to eat it. I never did like that flavour......
T o r t e l l i n i
Earlier this week I had gone to Moore Wilson's on my way home. I had the goal of buying some chocolate treats for the girls in my class who haven't been late to school this term. Positive reinforcement - what a novelty!
I bought a box of toffee-milks. It's a great deal - you get about 70 of them for around $8 or $9. More than you can shake a stick at! I also bought a sack of lollypops for good measure.
Note: I gave about 25 away to kids and have eaten about 30 myself. Not a good idea to have a huge box of toffee milks on your desk in the work-room. My teeth are rotting as I type.
On the way out the door I saw the deli fridge. I bought a large bag of tortellini and because I didn't like their sauce, I just got some basil pesto to mix in with it. When I say large, I mean large. It would do me for maybe five nights in a row. That's a lotta pasta. This is the first time I've ever bought so much and the first time I've had pesto with it.
Anyhow, I had it for my tea on Monday and Tuesday and hadn't even used half the bag.
Matt came round last night for dinner. He saw me eating popcorn when he got in and said, 'Don't spoil your appetite!' (I had just made a GIANT bowl using my impulse-buy popcorn maker). He had sweetly bought some things for us to have ..... and he pulled out some lime milk, Tim Tams, red licorice and.....
Tortellini and pesto! What're the odds? So I had tortellini and pesto THREE nights in a row. But to be fair, the stuff he bought was WAY nicer. I got him to mix in a bit of mine, just for good measure (so it didn't feel rejected). We had Tim-Tams and cookies 'n cream icecream for pudding. Mmmmmmm. I showed him the trick where you dip the Tim-Tam in a hot drink and suck it up through the biscuit so it gets all melty.
B o o B o o
I played basketball tonight and got a boo-boo on my knee. Someone bowled into me when I was jumping up for a long rebound. I fell over, with the ball, was down on my knees, passed the ball.... no foul. Go figure. I scored nine points. My team only scored 25 points. We lost. I didn't get any particularly nice goals in, but my shooting touch was decent. I made 3/4 free throws (and they all went 'swish-nothin-but-net').
So now my knee hurts and it will get a scab.
N i c e T h i n g s
1) We won a good game of netball against a team we usually lose to. Everybody did good stuff. Morgue found a bit of shooting mojo. Me and d3vo shot some decent ones. Off-black's workmate did a nice job on D. Fish did good stuff too.
2) My bed has finally arrived! It is at the factory awaiting a suitable drop-off time. I was starting to get annoyed since it was sposed to be here three weeks ago.
3) We are a having a girly shopping morning on Saturday! I am looking foward to it. We are doing coffee and shopping and doing lunch and shopping. I will buy something pretty that makes me smile when I look at it/ wear it/ use it.
4) My dad has officially announced that while he tried to force himself out of a job and get a demotion (to reprioritise and spend more time with Lynne and Libby and eeeease into retirement).... they have been unable to replace him and have instead come back and offered him the same money he gets now to do only four days of work a week instead of five! This seems like a good deal. He is irreplaceable. Awwww!
5) I weighed myself for the first time in ages and found that while I have been eating crap and have barely cooked a meal in months and done very little exercise...... I have not gained weight! Neat.
6) I finally waxed my legs so can show a bit of leg or ankle again without scaring small children. I managed to not have either of my male flatmates walk in on me while doing this (they have a habit of knocking and then opening the door, regardless of whether I say 'NO- HOLD ON!' or not - boys, go figure!). So that was a minor miracle too!
W e b s i t e F u n
In our second year at uni me, Janine and Lani made personal ads on some website as a competition to see who would get the most responses. I went for the 'nice' angle, Janine went for the 'weird' angle (she was Serendipity from some foreign planet) and Lani was quite earnest but went for the 'bisexual' angle.
I won. But I had freaks and geeks respond to my profile (one of the guys sent a photo and honestly looked like a mad scientist!).
That tradition was resurrected with Nicky and Rebecca in the Newtown flat. Again, I won. This time I went for a more quirky angle, cause I didn't want those freaky guys who like 'nice' girls. It is still on the website and I check it on ocassion. I get some odd responses. My favourites are the men from Kenya who propose to me in broken English.
I got an email from the FBi once saying a guy I had emailed had gone missing and they were trying to track him down.... some Canadian from the site.....
1 comment:
Which workmate was that then?
You obviously don't get how this thing is supposed to work. You aren't supposed to win if I'm not there....
Sucks working nights. I hate missing out on fun stuff and not talking to Fi in any meaningful way for five days.
Post a Comment