Life is a funny old thing.
Sam and Fish have figured out that they would’ve met each other even if Sam’d made it into the Air Force and not stayed around in Wellington. Fish’s sister is married to an Air Force guy and she might well have met him while up visiting her in Palmie. It’s like destiny.
It’s like one of those Hollywood movies that covers a story, then goes back in time to see what would happen if things had been a little different (think ‘Sliding Doors’). I kinda like it when there’s that fatalistic element where certain people are just destined to meet and find each other in both versions of the story, through different means.
I have decided real life is like that too.
At the dinner party on Saturday there were lots of people there who knew other people in a few different ways.
Example 1 – Me and FishI met Fish and Sam through my friend Janine. I knew her through her cousin, Lani, who I was in the hostels with. Fish knew Janine through being an octagon geek at Vic. We went to the same parties on occasion. A few years later I attended Teachers’ College in Wellington and Fish was in my course. So, even if we hadn’t met through Janine we woulda met through being in our maths tute together and playing for the T-coll indoor netball team.
Example 2 – Cassie and FishCassie knows Fish through me. But now she also teaches at the same school as Fish, so woulda met her anyhow.
Example 3 – Sam and Anthony
Sam knows Anthony from primary school. He also would’ve met Anthony because he is now going out with Cassie (who he met through me).
Example 4 – Me and Ed
I met Ed through my T-coll buddy Steve, who was at Wainui High with him in first year. Steve invited me to a party at Ed and Cassie’s flat. I also would’ve met Ed through flatting with Nicky and Rebecca, who were teaching and commuting with Cassie who flatted with Ed.
Example 5 – Sam and Holly
Sam works with Holly. He was also independently friends with her boyfriend Ken (‘cause he teaches with me and plays in our indoor team).
Example 6 – Me and Laura
I met Laura back when she was going out with Damon at The Wedding of Sam and Fish. I have no re-met Laura through her being good friends with Anthony who is my good friend Cassie’s boyfriend.
Whew.
Ange and Matt have no inter-connections. Losers.
It's a bit like the 'six degrees of separation' idea. That was a great movie, by the way. I made my friends watch it at my birthday in sixth form. That and 'Hoop Dreams'. I am only three degrees from Paul McCartney 'cause my mum was pen-pals with a girl whose brother was his best mate at school (she wrote Mum letters telling her to watch out for them 'cause they were gonna be great).
Group Activity
Who has the closest connections to the following 'celebrities'
- Joe Cotton
- A Shortland St actor of choice
- Tana Umaga
- Peter Jackson
My answers: I went to T-coll with Joe Cotton's brother, I know someone who knows someone who slept with Dr Warner in real life (Ange will beat me there), I know someone who played cricket with Tana and I know someone who teaches his son and I know someone who taught him at Parkway and some of my students' parents work for Weta.
PS – I am presently watching Ellen (my new 5-6pm hobby being as my TV only gets TV1 and TV4 and I don’t like watching all the hip hop videos). There are high school kids doing bird calls. They do them in pairs and tend to get their whole bodies into it. It’s crazy fun! I want to initiate a competition like that in my school.
6 comments:
Ok Jo Cotton I have had coffee with her in person, When she was famous in true bliss
Asked Angela Bloomfield is she would to dance (she said no bloody cow)
I was a manger for a rugby team in Petone and have drunk a few jugs with Tana Umaga (not that he ever paid for them)
Peter Jackson I work with someone who was his kid’s home school teacher
Anthony
Hmm.. but I DO have a small connection Kate..
I know Fish's sister and her brother in law - there's a (small) possibility I would have met Fish anyway..which means I would have ended up meeting Sam too.
Obviously I didnt' meet them in that context..but it's still a small world.
I also went to T-coll with Jo Cotton's brother.
Was Kevin Smith ever in Shorties? (The good looking one who was in Xena, rather than 'clerks' Kevin Smith). Anyway, he was in the pilot of a series that never made it to TV. it was filmed at my school in the holidays in 1991-ish. I was an extra.
I went to Army Cadets with Ross Filipo, who I am sure knows Tana.
Peter Jackson - Well, Svend works for Weta, but my Mate Dave's dad had something to do with 'the Frighteners'. Not sure what...
By the way, I was on What Now in 1986 (I did a 'wacky challenge'), so I'm mildly famous m'self don'cha know?
I was at school with Karl Urban, but only really got to know him in 7th form. Haven't seen him since he was on Shortland St (and saying it was time to move on).
I buy in depth plane books from the same shop that Peter Jackson does, as we haev interests in common.
Michael Galvins grandmother is my grandmothers cousin. is that close enough.
Also an old character years ago on shorties(only there a monthb or so) was played by Jamie Irving. A guy who went to primary with sam and myself. Hes also friends with Dan rabarts. Actually he piped me and a another friend for the part. bastard. no hes actually really nice.
Post a Comment