Monday, August 21, 2006

1.
Rice

Thanks for the nice rice advice. I will be systematically testing out the different theories.

Points of interest were
- the debate on whether to rinse or not (I instinctively agree with Sam)
- Damon's very useful instructions to 'Cook the rice until it is cooked. Test the cooked state of the rice by testing the rice'. His extended instructions were very useful - I am humbled to admit that I found a lot of his 'rice for dummies' explanations informative. So you don't have to go with the time the packet says! I always suspected as much.


2.
Weekend Happenings

I cooked something to take to a pot-luck dinner! I rang up Dad to get the recipe for a kumara pie off his wife... and here is an extract from the conversation
Me: Hi Dad... I'm going to a pot luck dinner and wanted to get a recipe off Lynne.
Dad: That's brave!

He shares my genetic fear of public cooking (though I didn't find his pessimistic comment encouraging!). His wife then gave me instructions and while every bone of my body wanted to ask her to be more specific (me and Dad like EXACT measurements, not things like 'put it in a big pot.... add lots of butter..... '), I just took it all in and prepared to 'ad-lib'.

I even decided to use coconut milk 'cause I didn't have much real milk. I think that was inspired.

Cassie and Anthony's dinner party thingie was jolly good. Ken was bragging about the banoffie pie success today at work, but changed his tune when I walked in and humbly admitted that he only made the base.

I like nibbles the best. I woulda been happy with the chippies and Philly Chilly dip all night.

When are the photos being put up, Sav? I want Bloody Mary pictures!

3.
Phone

I picked up the phone to use it on Saturday, only to hear a static sound and no dial-tone. I tried all the different jacks and a few different appliances. Calls could still come in, but there would be a loud clicking noise over top of them.

Thankfully, this was a line fault and it got fixed once I rang them.

Just mentioning it in case anyone else experiences it at some point.

4.
Kiwi Idol

The song choice last night sucked and I find myself agreeing with Frankie's comments. I am a veteren Idol Viewer. The only highlight was the guy from Levin! He was awesome. And he's from Levin! GO LEVIN! I was almost very nearly tempted to vote for him. But I didn't. I trust the impecible taste of the NZ voting public.

5.
Motor Sport

Why the hell do boys like watching motor sport? I was tortured through about five different types of motor sport yesterday (Sunday TV is laden with it - on all channels!). There was a motorcycle race, a race-car race, 4-by-4 racing..... and other things I have blocked out.

It is the most boring thing ever on TV. What is with guys LOVING it? Or is it a conspiracy that Matt and my flatmates have devised against me just to be incredibly annoying?

You can imagine the reaction when I insisted on watching a bit of The Gilmore Girls..... It appears to be the girl's equivalent to motor racing. They are the queens of jibber-jabber.

3 comments:

Charlie Brown said...

You should definitely rinse rice.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what is it with the Gilmore girls? Every single guy I know seems to have a thing against it. I also hate Motorsport, yet on the other hand I find Top Gear to be strangely compelling viewing.

Not Kate said...

My brother likes the Gilmore Girls. But he's an odd fellow. He likes girl TV and hates motor racing too.