
TVs and DVDs and Silly Kid Names
Last year I decided to buy a new TV. I was inspired by my flatmate at the time, The Baron. He was minimalistic and snobby in his decor preferences His family bought a $600 toaster and no, it didn't have magical powers or gold coating. It just made 'very nice toast'. I admired his LCD screen TV (tell me if I'm using the wrong terminology there). It was sleek and took up hardly any room at all. My TV was bulky and took up my entire dresser.
So I set off to buy a sleek new TV for my room. My old one wasn't fancy enough to connect to my new DVD player anyhow. I then realised they cost up to $800. But I bought one anyhow, and it wasn't until I was about to sign the papers and key in my PIN that the salesman mentioned that I'd most likely need an outdoor aerial because these kind of TVs for some reason don't work well with bunny-ears.
Oh well. So I have this fancy sleek TV that gets crap TV reception.
Hence today I turned it on and was not inspired by the little I could see on TV2 or TV1 (TV3 wasn't quite visible to identify what was on), and thought I'd put a DVD on instead. At this point I was again reminded that I have no DVDs that you can just kinda put on in the background while you're doing other stuff. Mostly because half of them have bloody subtitles!
I have this odd mix of low-brow comedies and films with sub-titles that would be found in the delightful 'arthouse' section of the video store. Not much in between. Except for the stuff that I inherited from a guy I dated last year (I offered to give them back, but he went straight into 'avoid mode' and no exchange session was ever arranged. I have only since seen him two times, both while entering supermarkets, once looking like crap having run down the road to get there - isn't that always the way???).
So anyway, I've settled on the bonus DVD of a live concert that I got with a Coldplay CD. I'm singing along happily. Me and Chris Martin harmonise well. I too would have happily called a child 'Apple'. Same principle as George Costanza wanting to call his kid 'Seven'. Actually, most people who know me will have already heard my speil on how good a name 'Mango' would be.....
If you see anything you like in my blurry picture, feel free to place an order at the Not-Kate DVD library. I have 'Crash' too, but it's somewhere else in another pile. I have a lot of piles.
A few of my favourite things
Favourite Household Chore: Growing up my job was always folding the washing. I like folding. It's satisfying looking at the neat piles of washing I create from all that chaos in the washing basket. On a similar theme I enjoy taking a filthy bathroom sink and making it shiny and perfect. Cleansing!
Favourite Crayola Crayon Colour: Periwinkle Blue.
Favourite Part of Refereeing Basketball: I like setting up the free-throws and making sure everyone's standing in the right places. I like saying, 'Two shots - first one's dead'. I think I get to do it a lot because I'm such a bad ref that the other person is inevitably busy MAKING the foul call.
Favourite Kidism: A guy I went to school with had a son. When his son was quite little, he had said something was 'upside-down'. A while later the kid flipped it over and said triumphantly, 'Now it's downside-up!'.
Favourite Toast Combination: Vogels toast with smooth Eta peanut butter. It melts into the toast. Mmmmmmm. I'm gonna go make ham and cheese on toast right now!
No comments:
Post a Comment