Groosh
For those of you who are indoor-netballers with me, the first round draw is up on the website. There is another wretched 9.40 game coming up. Grrr.
***
Drifting
I have recently been exposed to the art of 'drifting' on a couple of separate ocassions. It is very odd. Some Japanese car-racing phenomenon.
First, Matt made me sit through some cartoon that has Japanese boy-racers challenging each other to race down this mountain with lots of windy corners. That was quite fun because the main character's back-story is that his dad owns a tofu making factory, and as a youngster he was set the task of delivering the goods. Now, tofu is very delicate, so his father would put a glass of water on the dashboard and tell the boy to not spill a single drop of it while out on his deliveries. As a result, he became a drifting-prodigy.
Second, I just got home and Andy was watching some actual Japanese racing, on a race-track with sub-titles for the commentators. I couldn't quite figure out how you won a race (thought spinning out seemed to be a bad thing). The best we could guess was that it was similar to horse-racing in that time matters, but you are also marked on style. We were really just guessing.
***
Food, glorious food!
I have eaten far too much this weekend. I don't mean that in a guilty food-obsessed kinda way. It's just a fact. My body is telling me this. It makes me feel good, because in the good ole days my body woulda been telling me, 'Bring it on, girly! Feed me mooooore!'. So I must be eating in moderation (usually).
A diary of my food.
Friday:
- my department went out for lunch at Mojos, it being a half-day for the kids and all. I had a machiatto and salmon cakes (they came with green vegetable stuff - that can't be too bad).
- was in Levin for tea and they made me have a platter of entrees (crackers, apricot and nut cream cheese, pate), salmon steaks and various vegetables and fruit salad and ice-cream, and a glass of wine
- went to a house-warming do and Lulu had put on a lots of snacks (savouries, asparagus rolls, red licorice, fudge, more free wine)
- went to Fifi's house for another drink and helped polish off a box of Pods
Saturday:
- scrambled eggs on toast with lots of butter for breakfast, courtesy of Lynnie
- muffin, moccachino (with a sante bar) and a Phoenix drink for lunch at Whispers (the best darned cafe in Levin)
- helped polish off a large pack of M&Ms on the way home (the combo pack)
- lovely salad that Matt made for tea (bacon, feta, croutons, balsamic vinegar, baby spinach) and icecream (french vanilla mixed with crushed Malteasers and re-frozen, and chocolate sauce). I helped open packets :)
Sunday:
- breakfast of hot chocolate and left-over salad
- lunch of fries at JJ Murphy's (and some free games of pool)
- snack of one packet of red licorice
***
Flatmates update from Not-Kate
The new flatmate has moved in. He seems like a good guy. I am very happy with the change. He's interesting and easy to talk to and intelligent and artistic (into stencil art and NZ music but not above watching crap reality TV with us).
The old flatmate left quietly, but I was left rather out-of-pocket (her having moved out a week earlier than we agreed, with no warning and her having still not caught up on two month's phone bills and unlikely to go out of her way to do so.....). I kinda wrote off those two costs as the price I paid for my decision. And I don't regret it. Getting rid of tension is worth $200, I say! I coulda spent that much on a new pair of shoes. Bargain at twice the price.
He has a nice way of asking you to do things or tut-tutting you for leaving the door open when it's freezing cold (he does it in a joking manner - I like that and respond positively to it, like a Pavlov dog).
We did get our back-door mysteriously kicked in on Thursday (it no longer closes or locks). That is a vague worry.
***
Upcoming Plans
Cassie and I have been plotting and scheming and have come up with some likely adventures for the future of.....
- hiring out a house in Martinborough for a weekend with friends (perhaps even some of the new couples)
- having a pot-luck dinner at someone's flat (wear fancy clothes!)
- her hosting a D-vice party (note how I shift the emphasis there :)
2 comments:
I think drifting is more about style than speed. The only drifting you generally see in motorsport is in rallying, or when something spectacular and unintended is about to happen.
Definitely not the fastest way to get around a race track if its effect on a go kart is anything to go by.
Correction: change 'horse-racing' to 'show-jumping'.
Post a Comment