Pretending to Have Injuries
I have over the years done the following
- made up exotic stories about why I was wearing an eye patch (it was, in fact, merely for conjunctivitis)
- worn strapping on my ankle and limped around the Levin Public Library, just for fun. No injury at all.
- worn glasses in public to look smart.
- limped around on crutches (not my own crutches - my brother had temporary paralysis of his legs once, randomly he suddenly couldn't walk for a few days)
- pretended to have a bung knee and walked around with a stiff leg (like the doctor on ER)
- worn a sling at a night-club just for fun (I stole it off Ange, who really did have a broken arm but was embarrassed by it)
Being Systematic
I have started making lists of things to do to make the school magazine this year. This is a dangerous practice because I have told the powers-that-be that without proper incentive, I do not want to be in charge of it this year (I accidentally ended up in charge of it last year 'cause I realised that if I didn't do it we'd be buggered). I want another management unit, damnit!
Anyhow, I have created eight word documents of various lists of things to do. I have also printed out school rolls and copies of class photos and team photos, all ready to add and check captions! Fun!
Since the powers-that-be have yet to offer me any assistance or incentive, I am going to delegate pretty much all the work to the students. If they have a problem with that... they can solve it. Students are very capable when you let them do stuff.
Teaching
I think I'm getting ok at it. I feel like my kids actually know how to approach essays now..... I feel like I know how to explain the tricky stuff to them. Time will tell.
I am taking the 'teach a man to fish and he'll feed a village' approach at the moment, rather than feeding them model essays. I am teaching them to read essay questions and figure out what they REALLY want to you do. It's an art-form. I always try to do this, but this year it seems to be working better than usual, which must mean I'm doing it better than usual. I like to think that, anyhow.
No comments:
Post a Comment