Friday, July 07, 2006

3rd Equal - Ain't no shame in that, folks

On a stormy night in H-town, three of us hearty folk headed down for the pub quiz.

I had a basketball game til seven, so was kindly picked up by Ange en route. Note: In an awfully low-scoring game, I helped my team to come back from 18-23 down in the last few minutes by scoring five points in a row. We won 25-23. A rare victory for the Slammers! I was incredibly slow and lazy on the whole (I kept getting rebounds, throwing outlets and just praying the guards turned it into a fast break so I wouldn't have to move). I threw in some chesty-phlegmy coughs every now and then to get sympathy. I was also soaking wet, having walked from H-town to N-town and stepped in several large puddles. My teammates laughed at my shorts, which were drenched from about mid-thigh down, where my jacket ended.

It ended up being just Ange, Sam and Me. So we called ourselves 'Just A.S.K' (cheesily good!). Though one of the smaller teams, we stayed at about 3rd equal the whole quiz, despite some anaemic rounds of about 6/10. Sam dominated in the 'Classic Cars' picture round and had an anecdote to go with each picture (the cutest being one about how his dad had been overseas and brought back a jacket for wee Sam as a gift, filling each pocket with a new match-box car as an extra surprise - awww!). Ange .... who knows what Ange was doing. She couldn't even hear the questions but did some elaborate doodling. A highlight for me was Sam thinking he'd won a spot prize and walking all the way up to the bar to claim it, only to find it was for a DIFFERENT Sam and then trying to walk non-challantly back to the table.

Ange got the nachoes, I got the fettucine and Sam got a pizza. All good. Because we were sitting at the fancy tables at the front we got candles and dinner-mints and a flask of water with lemons in it. Fancy! We usually just get the railway-sleeper table and some stools, way down the back somewhere.

I think I contributed about four genuine answers and got the ponderous puzzle on the first clue.
- an actor born in 1951, 5'3 and formerly known by the name 'Nick Fromage'
- what name do we have for the animal called 'cuy' in south america, and considered a delicacy there?
- what early '90s rapper's real name is Stanley and previously played minor league baseball?
- what NBA team won the first ever title for its franchise this year?
- what TV show featured the character of 'Julie McCoy'?

Answers:
Robin Williams
Guinea Pig
MC Hammer
Miama Heat [sic]
The Love Boat

On the way home I got Sam all nostalgic for the niceities of early dating. He agreed to drop me at Matt's on the way, and I stopped at home to grab some stuff and HAPPENED to put some perfume on while I was there (just cause I saw it lying around and remembered I hadn't put any on.....). He thought it was adorable and got nostalgic. I think he misses Fishy.

3 comments:

Off-Black said...

I wasn't 'trying' to walk noncahlantly, I was walking nonchalantly.
Really what I should have done was stay at the bar and get a beer.

Not Kate said...

And didn't you say, before getting up, 'I had a feeling it would be me!'? Huh huh?

Charlie Brown said...

I was in a weird mood! Sometimes I do get in that mood. Umm. I do get in that mood sometimes, I don't know why and I become very stupid just for a while.