Monday, January 21, 2008

The Week in Three Oopsies

I just reread my previous entry. The last line was something about going off to wax my legs. The above picture is the result of....


Ooopsie #1


I heated up the wax in the microwave. It was still a bit thick. So I heated it some more. Now it was too liquid and piping hot - too hot to use. So I gingerly carried it up to my room .... and tripped on the stairs somehow. Hot wax sloshed out of the container and onto my hand. At this point I probably screamed out an expletive. More wax was spilled as I waved my arm around in pain. This wax only went on the carpet.


I ran up to my room and used my trusty water bottle to douse the pain. More expletives were uttered. I wiped away the wax with a towel.....


Only to look down and see that I'd also wiped away the skin off my thumb. Owww, I thought. I debated the merits of cutting it off or pulling it back over the raw bit. I went for the latter option.


I have since realised there are many things it is awkward to do with a big gauze plaster on your thumb. Things such as applying sunscreen to the back of the opposite leg.


Oopsie #2


It was Cassie's hens night on Saturday. Many photos are on facebook.


I had the huge responsibility of having to find a restaurant for us. I duly booked Grand Century for 7pm. I figured you can't go wrong with BYO and a lazy susan......


So me, Ange and Lauren turn up at 6.50 and are seated in the window. We amuse ourselves for a while by perving at the boys walking past (some of whom Ange knew, by chance) and drinking our wine. By 7.30 we started saying, 'Bloody hell - where are the others???? Slackers....'


By 7.45 I got a phone call from Cassie. I answered with, 'Where are you???' to which she replied, cryptically, 'Where are YOU?' We then went on to echo each others responses with, 'At the restaurant....'


Now, we had been sitting by the door the whole time. No way could they have snuck in without us seeing.


Turns out they were at the OTHER Asian restaurant on Tory St, Eastern Sunrise. They too had opened wine and were sitting there cursing US for being late. They thought, 'Typcial Kate!' - which greatly offends me! Besides which, I was arriving with Ange, which means you will inevitably be early.


So they had to sheepishly offer to pay corkage and slink out of their restaurant (after spilling wine on the table) in front of a Chinese clan reunion of about 200 people.


Good times!


Oopsie #3


Yesterday was a nice sunny Sunday afternoon. Marty and I fancied an outing to Day's Bay. He suggested going on a wee bush walk. I couldn't be bothered wearing sneakers (having gotten blisters recently) so said sure, as long as I can wear me jandals.


So off we went, in our jandals. Note that I was slightly hung over and had neglected to properly rehydrating - figuring I would have an icecream later on.


First of all we went the wrong way, to the Duck Pond. It was a short walk. Rather trecherous and cliffy. We came to a dead end and decided to take one of the side-paths which went up-up-up and had been etched into the cliff by some child's hands and feet. I took off me jandals and put them on my arms. Up I climbed on all fours. I was very impressed with my balance and agility.


We then found this path went nowhere in particular. And we would then have to climb down one of these trecherous mountain paths, like mountain-goats would. I had just watched the documentary Out of the Void, so I felt like one of those adverturer guys, knowing that one wrong step could cost me big time. Got down ok.


Walked past some kids getting stoned and heard the mutter of ... 'works at East....' After a quick glance I couldn't recognise any of them. Walked onwards.


This time we took the correct path. It was a 45 minute walk up to Ridgeway Lookout, or something. It started off nicely enough. We sighed and said, 'This is more like it!' A canopy of native trees, a trickling stream. A few little upward slopes, but that's ok.


Then the path changed and became very steep. I figured it was a brief climb..... so up we went in our jandals. I was getting thirsty by now. The water in the stream looked tempting. Marty drank some to show me it wasn't poisonous, but I still didn't trust it.....


We climbed up for a while. Then every corner we came to was another climb. Then some steep steps. We realised at this point that maybe jandals were inappropriate footwear. I had visions of us breaking our ankles and being air-lifted out like hapless English tourists. A few people passed us going down. They were dressed in tramping shoes and had day packs.


Marty had a hat on. That was our only piece of useful equipment.


But neither of us being quitters, we kept going up. At this point I had to have a wee stop or two. Too puffed.


Then some people coming down told us there was another four hours to go..... or there was a nice seat with a view about five minutes up the path.


We opted for the seat with a view. That seemed doable. Though, we realised that five minutes tramper-time was probably more like 20 minutes layman-time. We kept on trekking.


We are proud to say that we did overtake four people at this point.*


And finally, sweating and dehydrated and squinting in the sun...... we emerged at the seat. It was a lovely seat. I had, for a good ten minutes, begun to think it was a mythical seat that didn't really exist.... as Marty kept thinking he'd caught sight of it further up the path, only to be wrong.


Indeed, it was a lovely view. We wished we had brought a camera (not to mention water and a pair of good shoes). It made us realise we had walked up a long long way, for an afternoon stroll.


And down we went. Going down in jandals is actually more trecherous than going up. There were a few close calls. Towards the bottom, where the path flattens out again, we passed a few people coming towards us in jandals. We tut-tutted and gave each other a knowing look. Fools!


And that's how you do it Naenae-styles.


* Two children, a mother and grandmother.

No comments: