Justin had a beginner-friendly poker game at his house today.
I have leart a lot. Having sucked up all the knowledge in the room, I am now ready to play properly. I reckon next time I play I'll be awesome.
We played three $5 games, none of which I won. But I did not finish last in any of them! And by the final game I was 3rd out of 5, and I could've duked it out for 2nd place, but we were running short on time so I took a gamble that didn't pay off (bloody Justin and his ace).
I have learnt
1. You probably shouldn't go in on an 8 and a 3.
2. People don't bluff as often as I assumed.
3. What 'ALL IN!' means. Poker has heaps of fun sayings to learn!
4. What an 'Ana Kournakova' is (ace/king combo - not as good as it looks). Though it beat my pair of kings on the final turn.
5. To hide my cards better.
6. To shuffle poker cards on the table - they are very slippery.
7. That beef jerky really is the perfect complement to a poker game.
8. That poker is a game of patience.
All in all, I'm happy with it. $15 for three hours of entertainment is a good deal. Better than a crappy movie!
* * *
Those of you who know Justin may want to ask him how he got his bruised eye. (I've got two words for you: shadow boxing.)
2 comments:
you should play facebook poker to bone up your skills for next time. Ant and I can teach you a thing or two + you can use chat to cheat [sort of]
True! I used to play online euchre back in my procrastinating uni days.
Me and my friend would talk to each other over net-meeting, but we had a self-imposed ethical code of not table talking (even though the other team had no clue what we were doing). We'd just take the piss out of our opponents and abuse each other for making stupid moves.
There was this great site where you got to pick weird cartoons to be your image - we would both be the fat asian sumo guys. Then we'd talk to each other in broken English and CAPS-LOCK in the chat box. Hillaaaarious (to us). It had a limited range of sound bytes you could play too, which we over-used. 'Unbelievable!'
Uptight American gamers used to get pissed off at our obnoxiousness, which made it super-fun.
I'm getting all nostalgic thinking about it....
Post a Comment