Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Perfection

Initially, I was a sloppy driver. I would park horribly in angle parks and say, 'Bah, that'll do!'

I have made a conscious decision to not settle for anything less than perfection. I have now on a handful of ocassions made myself get back in the car and repark because I'm not satisfied.

Today I did a parallel park up the street (but it was a huge and very easy one)... and I made myself back into it, even though I could've driven in frontways. Then I noticed a smaller and more difficult one right outside my flat... and walked back up the hill and made myself repark.

My first attempt was woeful.... but the second one was spot on! I think I was mere millimetres away from hitting the car in front at one stage though....

I have also conquered some small milestones, like figuring out how to drive through the multiple pedestrian crossings in Hataitai and how to pull across three lanes of traffic from the Basin roundabout to Mt Vic (to be fair.... 11am on a week day isn't the most challenging time to attempt this - but it's a start!).

* * *

One of my new flatmates is moving in tomorrow. Her name is also Kate J. Bound to be confusion and hilarity at some point as my grandma starts telling her all about her gall-stones, thinking it's me.

* * *

GO MATT FROM LEVIN IN KIWI IDOL!

* * *

I quite like Outrageous Fortunes. Nice when Kiwi TV doesn't make you cringe! There are a few goodies around now..... or maybe I'm just getting old and 'uncool'....

* * *

I will soon be playing basketball out at Rongatai College every Tuesday night if anyone out that way wants to invite me over for tea and biccies (... ahem.... Svend.....).

* * *

Thanks for the pretty badge, Fishy :) Maybe decorative badges are grown-up versions of friendship bracelets.... Who can I get one for next?

* * *

Argh. (You know what I'm talking about, Ange.)

6 comments:

Off-Black said...

That little comment in burgundy at the bottom of the post needs some explanation. You can't tease us like that.
Good to hear you are turning precision driving into a competitive sport. We could have park-offs.

fish said...

I once parallel-parked my Honda City in a space that was about 30cm longer than the car. It took about ten back and forward steps, but I was very proud afterwards. Parking at Vic Uni was often like that...

When it was time to go, someone had double parked beside me, and I was right up against a clay bank, so I had to climb in via the boot. I'm sure I looked like I was trying to break in. Not that anyone would steal a Honda City...

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I'm busy at least half the Tuesdays; but I'll see about getting you a key, so you can let yourself in and have a shower (and a spot of tea, should you feel like it). :)

When are you starting? There's the Tuesdays when I'm not doing stuff, when tea, chocolate biscuits and the odd bit of cake might be possible. :)

Not Kate said...

Starting next week.

Cake would be lovely!

Sam: Ange knows. And it's not for sharing. It may end up as an abridged latter blog. It may not. Though, do ask her about her 'hair experiment'.

2treesandahorse said...

Good on ya girl. That basin round about is not nice not in any traffic.

Hey you should come to my work and test drive the cars. you soon learn to park. Also you get a lot of experience with different types.

When you are a driver here you really learn to squeeze cas out of small gaps. like millimertres on each side.

come in on a weekend when i'm on saturday test drives and take out cars round the "test track" (using that term loosely) and reverse park.

Anonymous said...

Dang. What time do you finish?