I have done some brave Wellington driving without crashing!
1) I drove all the way to Wellington by myself. Except for a dicey moment on the motorway just outside Paraparam where I accidentally ended up in the middle lane, it went quite smoothly.
2) I have driven to Kilbirnie Pak n Save a couple of times. I like that. It's an easy drive. And I can buy as MUCH as I want. I don't have to carry it far.
3) I have driven to Ange's house twice. It's in Newtown.
4) I dropped Matt home tonight in Ghuznee St. It was dark and rainy. Hard to see the lanes! Other than almost hitting a bus while going around the Basin, it was not too bad.
I'm gettin' the hang of it.
Althoooough.... I have done the following things since arriving in Wellington on Friday....
1) Driven with the hand brake on
2) Driven with no lights on
3) Tried to start driving with the engine not turned on (and wondered why the car went forwards when I had it in reverse.... almost hitting Glenn's car which was parked in front of me)
4) Hit a few kerbs...
5) Parked horribly in a couple of angle parks
Doesn't feel like my holidays have really started yet. I've had hardly any 'alone' time or 'admin' time.
3 comments:
Good on ya for making the drive to Wellington. Better to throw yourself into the difficult things.
Also, everything you did wrong is stuff other people do wrong all the time, and you actually noticed them as mistakes, which is more than other people do. It means you learn...
Even Svend's driven without his lights on!
In fully lit up areas it's very easy not to notice lights not being on. I once got from the hockey stadium in Newtown to the Aotea on-ramp section of the motorway before noticing my lights were off.
And I drove a few K's on Friday with my handbrake partially on after being stopped in traffic between Plimmerton and Pukerua bay.
While you now have a licence to drive, it really is a licence to learn.
I've learnt now that if I can't actually SEE the numbers on the speedo that I need to turn the lights on. That lights up the numbers too! I remember peering at the dash wondering why I couldn't make out the numbers, and thinking that was fairly dangerous - not knowing my speed....
I then thought of the lights.
I'd gotten confused 'cause there was a car parked in front of me (on the wrong side of the road) and its lights were beaming right at me.... So it hadn't looked dark.
Post a Comment