I was walking down the street today and someone coming towards me stopped and said, 'Hi!'
He looked happy to see me.
I had no idea who he was. He may have even used my name.
Rather than admit defeat, I said 'Hi' back and pretended to be happy to see him too.
He spoke some more. Luckily, he had a British accent (so my first guess of it being my old flatmate Simon and that he had gained about 15 kg and grown a bit of a beard) was wrong.
It was a guy I work with.
I'm a little embarrassed it took me so long to realise who he was. He sits right across the aisle from me.
Sometimes I am terrible at recognising people out of context. I walked straight past a guy I dated for about five weeks a while ago. He had to call out to me and made me stop and chat for a while.
So don't be offended if this happens to you too.
I am definitely of the school of thought that rather than admit you don't remember somebody, pretend you do. It's easy to do as long as you don't use names. This works for one-night-stands too (I hear). You should hear Nicky's story about using the wrong name (due to seeing a passport on the guy's bedside table, but it turning out to be his brother's passport). Hilaaarious. She also had the fleeting thought that 'my goodness - he's much better looking than I thought' after looking at the photo.....
***
Drove to netball today. All I did wrong was drive with the handbrake on for a while and hit someone's mirror. WATCH OUT FOR ME!
4 comments:
Funny!
Things you still have left to do:
1) Drive around town with your lights on full (or, drive around town at night time without putting your lights on at all!)
2) Stall the car at lights and panic after someone honks the horn at you.
3) Back in and out of a parallel park about twenty times until you give up and drive around the block to find an easier park.
You might not do any of those things but they are likely scenarios (I've done all three, back in my early driver days).
Do you remember me backing into the hedge in your driveway in Levin?
dont worry we all do it.
God the amount of times I have run over friends and hit low walls, if I had a dollar.....i would have a dollar.
SO that whole looking at the id thing, yeah its not up to much. Wrong pocket, wrong name, off to family planning with an 18 year old.
I think you should do a "hilarious Nicky stories" day. I'd suggest a "hilarious flatmate stories" day, but I might get caught in the crossfire. ;)
And I'd forgotten about driving in the Hutt, with a van full of people, with my lights off, on a learner's license, without a full licensee beside me... and getting pulled over by the police, and bluffing my way out of it with my best "received pronunciation" accent. Ah, so many years ago. :)
Svend you rebel!!!
I've driven Matt round a couple of times, and he's only on his learners. So I'm a rebel too. But I didn't neglect to put my lights on....
It's so miserable and windy that I was tempted to at least give some brave girls who came into school to help me with the magazine a lift to the bottom of the hill (during their holidays!)..... but I think the BOT would look very harshly on endangering students when not on a full licence.....
Post a Comment