Sunday, August 24, 2008

Taking Advantage

Nicky Update: For the record, I have been for a weekend jog up Mt Vic almost every week since holidays. That's an exercising record - I have never done it less sporadically! I ran into Ed yesterday, on my way down. More accurately, I walked into Ed (he was biking up, I was walking down, having just gotten the stitch and being at one of my predetermined 'rest' spots where I don't have to jog). He looked at me and said, 'You look buggered.' I said, 'So do you.... but then, you're biking up a hill..... I swear I was actually jogging until very recently......' and felt a bit embarrassed at looking so very red and sweaty.

I possibly made a lost Asian tourist even more lost when they stopped me to ask how to get to the look-out. I pointed and gave vague directions, then watched them drive right past it.....

I went for a jog today too, even though it was starting to drizzle (usually that is more than ample enough reason to pike on going for a jog). My hair is, as of today, officially long enough to put in pigtails (though not in a ponytail, yet).

If I lose one kg I will be the same weight I was somewhere near the beginning of third form. I remember this weight, because I found weighing myself in a group situation and then having to chart it on my PE record so traumatising that every term after that for the next two years I refused to actually weigh myself again. Instead, I kinda cheated and just added a tiny bit onto that initial weight. I have no idea what I actually weighed by fifth form, but on my official fitness chart, it was about 2kg more than when I started college.

I don't think I actually weighed myself again until I was about 23 or 24 - around the time me and Nicky and Rebecca decided to have a two week weigh-off to see who could lose the most weight. Since then, I have not been 'afraid of the scales' again.

Anyhow, while that is confirmation that I was nowhere near being a 'petite' child (I was already almost as tall as I am now - early grower), I kinda like that most people will never again weigh what they did when they were 13. Being a tall, 'big-boned' child had to have a perk at some stage!

What a pity I wasn't wearing cool clothes then that I could pull out and wear again...... Stone washed jeans, baggy sweaters and cheap tourist T-shirts just don't appeal these days......

* * *

Am taking advantage of having the flat to myself. I have my music up really really loud. I haven't done that in ages - it's very liberating! No matter what you're doing, it is more fun with overly loud music. I have been tidying up my room, and jiggling about to Liam Finn while doing it. I even looked under my bed and found all kinds of things. I found two bits of paper ripped from a notebook, which I have no recollection of at all. Apparently they're snippets of things I wrote to myself while living on Hanson St in Newtown. Kinda interesting to read back on. Faux poetry. Makes me want to start keeping a proper diary.

* * *

Nicky is coming back.... some time soon. I may have jumped the gun when I said she'd be in Wellington last week. Sounds like it'll be more like the end of this week. Stay tuned. Nicky never was very good with dates (ask her about the time she got AM and PM confused and had to cry her way into getting a ticket back to English because she'd missed her plane in Auckland). Though, she has an uncanny ability to know what time of day it is by looking at the sun. To within five minutes, usually.

She's on a tight schedule, so it'll be a one-off opportunity to catch up with her, with late notice...... Not even sure if anyone who reads my blog (other than Fish and Sam) know Nicky ..... Actually, not sure if anyone actually reads my blog, more to the point......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your blog!

Not Kate said...

I read yours too... .but you don't update it often..............

Not Kate said...

I read yours too... .but you don't update it often..............