Saturday, August 30, 2008

Good Weekend.

Birthday drinks for Sam. Someone thought I was hot! Irregardless of whether that was reported accurately or whether or not it was said by a person I wanted to think that ..... I choose to believe it :) I was actually a bit more 'tipsy' than I have been in a while. In a fun way (for me). It was one of those nights where I had to really concentrate to hear and follow what people were saying by the end, and would have to just nod and say, 'Yeah....' if they expected me to respond. Sam's friends are all tops people and I think he had a good night.

Went to Andrew's CD launch. Pretty cool having a signed CD (with my own personalised message-sound). Then Jon-Jon drove me home because he's cool like that. Thanks. Oh, and Dave drove us in to town at the beginning of the night, so he is cool too (but he doesn't read my blog so he is less important). I have been noticing lately that I know a few talented, creative people. Last weekend, within 24 hours I hung out with a musician, a poet and an artist (I like that I cover a lot of artistic bases there!) and talked to the owner of an art shop who was picking up some work by my former-flatmate that's been hanging in our lounge. Artistic people rock! I think I like to just leech off them and let their experimentation and talent feed my soul vicariously :)

Then hangin' out with the nieces and nephew on Saturday with Dad and Lynne. Went to Percy's Reserve - it rocks! It has a scary cave. And ducks to feed. And windy tracks to explore. And mud to slip over in. Extra cool in that it's where my dad and Lynne used to play when they were kids growing up in Petone, and it's still recognisable to them (same scary cave, same duck pond, though less ducks). And Dad used to take me and Dave there when we were little too, on the way to Nana's house.

My 3 year old niece is a crack-up. If you are chubby like a cherub and have curly blond hair you can get away with a lot! I never get tired of how little kids automatically reach up to hold your hand when they cross a road.

I also got to witness my dad testing his blood levels. He got diagnosed with diabetes 3 weeks ago and is having to eat totally differently (no puddings!). He was 6.2 when he measured it at lunch (which is very good - supposed to be between 4 and 8). I guess that will have to be my new second best charity, after the Cancer Foundation. Must support the parents (genetics dictate that what they get, I may well get too..... so it's in my own interests too!).

Then catching up with Nicky and co. We all nearly had belly laughs when talking about 'the trotters'. And that's the first time I've played a drinking game in a while. Nicky had a whole plate of meat. Her and Leroy are like a comedy duo. Nicky has always claimed she 'makes it come alive'. It's totally true!

Fish and Sam: Nicky might have a dinner on Friday night (cheap Asian with a lazy-susan and BYO, followed by other drinking - her boyfriend Jamie likes 'old man pubs').

* * *

Thus-far I have been home very little, done no housework, washing or schoolwork and drunkened more beer than I meant to and eatened more chips and dips and fries than I meant to....... so not such a virtuous weekend. But nice.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

We artistic people leech off your souls to feed our experimentation and talent, so it all evens out in the end ;)

Not Kate said...

Hmmm. That makes me feel better :) Glad to be useful.