I think Boogie Wonderland is a great start. Enough of this hip hop free styling grinding beeboppping young people's music. 'Hip Hop' they call it.
I like Boogie Wonderland because it has old-school music and you can shamelessly do your John Travolta finger-point. That's the only dance move I've ever learnt to do well. It's my signature move! And there are usually some good cheesy group moves you can incorporate (Sunshine.... Moonlight.... Good Times..... Boogie).
Even better would be if some brave entrepreneur opened up a good old fashioned dance hall. I'm sure it's been attempted and failed by someone.... but I would have supported it if I'd known! What a great excuse to wear a dress and heels. There's not much sexier than dancing with a guy who leads well and holds his hand firmly on the small of your back. Live bands are good too. And punch. Partner dancing to a ballad at Molly Malone's with some sleazy Catholic guy while the embarrassingly tipsy 30-something women elbow you in the back and jostle for position is just not the same.
I was one of the minority who was sad when the 'set dances' finished at the school balls. I liked the Gay Gordans and waltzes and foxtrots.
*Note: I cannot show pictures of school dances because I had The Fringe. Also I had teenage body image issues and shuddered at the thought of a figure-hugging dress or going strapless. I'm so much cooler now! I have four cool dresses I never wear. I have my 'date dress'. Never fails!
*****
I was of course inspired to make this post by Dancing With The Stars. Go Beatrice!
I say someone should host a group-watching of the grand finale next week. The boys I flat with are not exactly keen on the show.... I need more sensitive girly pals to watch with! Men in touch with their feminine sides will suffice. You know who you are.
******
When I have kids I am going to give them freaky toys. I was inspired by the HARM bunny I saw at Popup (my aforementioned new favourite shop). It's freaky looking. I will also encourage the reading of 'Where the Wild Things Are' and other scary stuff. Scaring children is surely part of the privilege of parenthood.
3 comments:
Dude, new course of swing dancing classes starts on Wednesday this week. I'll be going along to the set. You are welcome to join me.
6 lessons, you learn just enough moves to make it through a song without feeling repetitive. You lessons are huge fun in the middle of your week. As a girl you get led by the men but do trickier steps. Beginers isn't very tricky though.
The lessons are on the street at the top of Cuba St. They go for an hour with free dancing for half an hour afterwards.
Swing dancing predates rock and roll, and you listen to big band tracks, swing tracks, and some jazzy tracks. It was a good era IMHO.
That sounds really cool. Anyone who has seen me try to do any kind of dancing will confirm I am very unco (anyone seen my rib-extensions?).
What is the cost of these things?
I have school plays to watch this Wednesday night. Four stunning student directed items at my school if anyone wants a night of 'culture'. Gold coin donation.
It is $12 for a lesson, or you can buy 6 lessons for I think it is $60.
You can probably skip the first class buy you would probably have to get me to go through it before the second so that you don't feel lost.
It is 8 count but it has a kind of syncopated symmetry to it.
Post a Comment