Thursdays are always busy. I have either no non-contacts at work, or just one (depeding on the week). Then there are often either department or HOD meetings after school. Then I either have basketball or quiz (or both).
Today was a no-meeting day, thank goodness.
Went to the beginning of the quiz. We started with guns ablazing! 40 points after two rounds - that is the perfect start. I earned my place by guessing that Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas were the parents of two named children and that kedgerie was a breakfast dish and that the ponderous puzzle was 'the cell phone' (on the first clue!).
After that we stalled a little bit, but still came in a solid second place.
The trouble was that we had an $80 tab to spend from the previous quiz win. So I had nachos, chips, pizza, coffee and an oreo-sundae...... THEN went and played basketball. Not smart, Kate! My tummy is still unnaturally protruding right now.
Basketball was lumbering and painful (mostly emotionally). We played a Chinese team who were mostly small and quick and could all dribble and shoot well. Then they also had a few big girls whose Chinese heritage I would like DNA tested. Anyhow, they were pretty solid and killed us with a full court press (aided by having about four subs to our one) and good outside shooting. They train!
I think we actually had the measure of their half-court offence and I managed to plug up the middle and stop a lot of their drives. But we gave them the ball back a lot of times with sloppy passing. Oh well. We'll get em next time!
I had one of those satisfying teacher moments today when one of my girls said, 'Miss, I think Macbeth would be really easy to write about in the exam! There's lots of metaphors and stuff that had deep meaning.' My class were looking fairly blankly at me for the most part while we read the play and giving me the old ,'I actually don't understand a word of what he just said!' reaction. Seems to have sunk in a bit since then. Repetition and using OJ Simpson, Tonya Harding and Mugabe as real life examples hammered it in (though I warned them not to mention any of them by name in their essays - I hear it's a marker's pet-hate when those 'real life' examples are tagged on in the conclusion).
Not sure how I feel about Obama finally (officially) getting the nomination. Was talking about it with Sam tonight and he likes Obama better and thinks Hilary is a bit shifty and untrustworthy. Good point. I'd like to see her and Helen having an argument. I don't think either of them would give an inch. That'd be a good celebrity death match. I do like that when Obama did a speech for the WCW crowd he said, 'Can you smeeeeell what Barrack is cooking?' (ala The Rock styles). Politicians with cheesy pop culture catch phrases are fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment