I am blogging like a madman. This is almost my second of the day! It's because it's so bloody cold and I haven't wanted to get out of bed.
Under covers with lap-top is good. Outside in biting-cold wind is bad.
* * *
Before I get into my tale, here's a good link to evil cat pictures with funny captions (I'm sure that description doesn't anywhere near do it justice). It is stolen from Morgan.
It made me and Ange laugh out loud many many times the other night. I do not often laugh out loud at internet things. I think you need to read them out loud in the right accent. It helps. I am available for such services.
* * *
It was a dark and stormy night in Wellington. The kind with rain-slicked streets and blurry vision. I was in Mt Vic, trying to find a 'legitimate' park. I was pulled up over a drive-way on one side of the road, but I had spotted a park on the other side of the street, so was gearing up to do a u-turn. The street was not particularly well-lit.
I did a head-check and saw no lights coming up the road (only a set way down the bottom of the hill)..... indicated and started doing my turn.... and out of the corner of my eye saw a cyclist swerve out of my way mid-turn. Inches from hitting my car.
The moron was biking at 8pm on a rainy, dark night ..... with NO lights on his bike, no reflective gear and wearing dark clothing from head to toe (even had a beard covering half his face. To top it off he didn't even have a helmet on. That really pissed me off. Unless he'd been right under a streetlight when I'd turned to check behind me, he woulda been pretty much invisible.
I am quite righteous about the fact that I coulda nearly killed him.
After having a fairly shite game of netball which already had me in a bad mood, I did not need to have the maiming of a man in black on my conscience.
I'm sure on some level it was my fault too..... but you have to be some kind of idiot to be biking in that condition with no helmet or light. I don't care if he was a student - when I was a student biking around Palmie I wore a helmet each and every time I went out because I value my brain. And I had lights at the front and rear of my bike because, again, I value my brain and body. And Palmie was about ten times safer to bike in than Wellington, anyhow.
So, yeah. Funny how as soon as I started driving a car I turned to the 'other side' and started hating pedestrians and cyclists.
1 comment:
Lovely weather up here. Just sayin'...
Since choppers came back, I reckon there's been an increase in not wearing helmets. Mostly because choppers are ridden by posers who got lost on the way to the cafe rather than by cyclists...
Post a Comment