* * *
This is Saturday night.
Me and Sam M from work went to watch the school ukulele band play at Sub 9. They are called the Ukuladies. That cracks me up. Anything they lack in talent, they make up for in spirit. They are led by a talented guitar player (got award for best chick at the local Rockquest last year) and she has taught them a repotoire of three songs. Haere Mai (Everything is Ka Pai), Iko Iko and How Bizarre.
Me and Sam went as groupies. We were the only teachers there. We had on lais (their traditional outfits are Hawaiian shirts) and some home-made 'I heart the ukuladies' badges that I whipped up using my laminator (I made some spares and they went like hotcakes, I tell ya). We were very very hip and cool.

Sam and I then met Boy-Sam at Club K for karaoke. I have finally met someone else who doesn't mind karaokeing with me! Watch out! When we first arrived, Girl-Sam and I were quite literally the only ones there. It made for ideal warm-up time. We kept making the DJ stop playing hip-hop shite and put on some cheesy old songs for us to warm-up to. We started with Islands in the Stream, and it was fairly fortunate there was nobody there to listen...... The girl part is high. I have a very limited vocal range.
Ange and a couple of her workmates were out on the town, so they joined us too. Ange actually sang! I heard her! It was awesome. We were drinking the Canadian Clubs with ginger-ale. Mmmm. Not a bad way to drink the night away.

We then went to Motel for a cocktail (Rosebuds are gooooood) care of one of Ange's buddy's husband, who works on the door there.
That was the SECOND night in a row I had been out for a few drinks!
I feel like I'm reliving my youth. Getting my second wind just before I turn 30. On Friday night me and Ange and her flatmate (formerly MY flatmate) went out to Kitty's, Mighty Mighty and The Materhorn for drinks. I lost the 'First Person to See Someone they know is Cool' game. Ange saw someone from work. Damn her. Daragh came dead-last.
Ok, if I'm honest we didn't stay out past 1am on either night - but I was still out, it was late-ish and I was drinking. We even danced at the Karaoke Bar when Sam got up to sing. He did his usual specialised reportoire. He did good!
I know three people called Sam! It makes for much confusion when they were in the same place at the same time.
* * *
Ange and I have decided that we have already mentally moved into our 30s. I look around a bar, for example, and think, 'My god -they're all so young! All in their 20s. There's not many of us people in our 30s.'
I think that mental transition will make my actual birthday much easier.

No comments:
Post a Comment