Wednesday, January 12, 2011

No more pizzas please.

Me, Michelle and Janine all got multiple vouchers for $6 pizzas at the Craftsman. Great deal - but it really hasn't helped my post-Christmas healthy eat idea. I spose I could've just not eaten any of them (or maybe not the full half of the pizza that I consumed) .... but they were practically free! I can't say no to free food.

Today me and Janine went there for lunch. While we had our chicken, cranberry and camenbert, we played Scrabble.

She won.

I could've won but made a dumb move at the end. She also let me have 'quin' which may or may not be a 'real' word. But it got me lots of points!

* * *

TV Advice

After that she helped me go TV shopping. With Reidun moving, we'll be TV-less again.

I figure I'll buy a 32 incher. They seem to be around $600 to $900 which is all I want to spend.

Does anyone have any advice about what to look for? I went around four shops today taking notes. Here are my questions:

1. What brands are best? The first guy said he wouldn't get a Samsung, but the other two guys I asked said they were fine. LG, Panasonic and Sony seemed to be the other main ones. I don't think I'd go down to a super-cheap brand I'd never heard of.

2. Would you bother getting full HD? I couldn't see heaps of difference on some of the sets, but maybe a little. I'm tempted to get the 50Hz HD maybe.

3. LCD, LED or plasma? I figure I'll get LCD probably. If I stretched my budget to a 42 incher I'd have to decide though. The sales guy estimated that if I watch a lot of TV it might be up to $6 a week more power to have a plasma.

4. Any other features to look for? The first guy pointed out that some brands have USB ports that you can watch movies from - that sounds good. They all seem to be Freeview ready. To be honest, I'm not a super fancy TV watcher. I just wanna do the basics. But a TV that could watch movies from my laptop or external hard-drive really easily would be a bonus. I just bought an external hard-drive today so I'm gonna steal movies off people now.

* * *

For those of you who try to keep up with who my flatmates are (it can be confusing at times).... Reidun is moving out tomorrow having had a whirlwind job offer yesterday for a school up north. And Anthony moved in today. He seems nice. He's sporty so I may be able to make him fill in for our various teams. If he is worthy.

The changes are ringing! I'm gonna take the opportunity to do a bit of spring cleaning. Over the years lots of flatmates have left bits and pieces behind and I've never known if they were Reidun's or theirs. Now I'll be able to throw away pretty much anything that I don't want since Colleen doesn't have much stuff in the common areas and the new guy hasn't had time to spread out there yet either.

Might have to do a car-load to the dump, even. I've never done that!

If anyone is looking for a 'rustic' sleepout (no fancy stuff like bathrooms or kitchens, but it has electricity!) for $85 plus expenses... let me know :)

* * *

Indoor Land

First indoor netball game of 2011 played. We won. That was good because the other team had two players from Michelle's outdoor team (which I played a season of twilight with at the end of last year). We like beating her outdoor teammates especially. We were losing the first quarter so had to make a wee comeback, too.

I got quite tired trying to defend the crafty little Attack guy (the one Morgan has made 'friends' with so he has to be nice to him on court). He used his elbows and other body parts craftily so that you practically have to lean on him the whole game. I don't enjoy that kind of intimacy with non love interests.

I had to make Michelle swap positions after two quarters of it. Tactically that wasn't a great move 'cause me and Ben had finally figured out his game and were double teaming him pretty well, but I felt happier down in the land of Attack. Me and Brad tend to make it like a comedy show down there.

Defence is intense! Attack is slack!

* * *

And by the way, I have now added 'Cassie the Lap Bandit' to my blog list. It's my friend Cassie (who most of you know) and her blog about her lap band operation. She hasn't had it yet, so it's still build up (was supposed to have it, but it all went terribly wrong on the theatre table).

It's all kinda fascinating. She's also already lost 21kg just with the pre-op diets - legendary!

3 comments:

Off-Black said...

Their huge anchor player rolling his ankle and being left with not- as-good me trying to defend both you and Brad at the same time probably helped your victory as well.

Off-Black said...

Also sorry to hear of Reidun's departure. She has been fun the times I have got to hang out with you all.

Not Kate said...

The guy that got injured is the one we nicknamed 'Tin-Tin'.

I think we had momentum our way after the first quarter - had kinda figured out how to stop their shooter a bit better. Might've been closer though. Brad's deceptively hard to defend - I had to do it once. He holds the net really well but he also knows when to come forward for the ball and does that leg-split thing pretty well, so you think you had him pushed out pretty far but he still ends up right near the hoop when he shoots.