Friday, January 07, 2011

Me Plans

I'm officially getting my head into the zone where I'm ready to buy a house. It's taken a while.

The past year I've been looking on TradeMe religiously to get a feel for how much house you can get for your money in different suburbs.

But I haven't gone beyond that yet. I think I've been happy enough flatting where I am. My flatmates have been stable and nice and I like watching my money grow. I know when I buy a house it won't be nearly as close to the city, my bedroom won't be as sunny or massive and I'll be way, way poorer and will have to make an effort to not turn into a hermit. There will be compromises to make.

But now I'm ready to be a poor hermit. Most of my friends are already anyhow :) I think cheap, suburban fun is the name of the game in your mid-30s.

I've been talking to house-savvy friends to get advice on where to start and what to ask about. And next week I might actually go to the bank and get one of them pre-approved things so I have a proper budget.

I think I'll be aiming way under what they'll actually loan me anyway, so it won't be a problem. I want to pay somewhere under $400 a week mortgage. That's about what I've been saving, plus I've been paying rent on top of that. I think, according to the online mortgage calculators, I'll be looking for somewhere in the $350,000 to $400,000 range.

My dream house would be a two bedroom cottage in Petone. 90m square (or so). With a garage (off street park could suffice if it's not near the beach). Small backyard, but low maintenance (enough to sit outside or have a BBQ and a tiny vege and herb garden but not much more). Neutral and fresh interior. Not expecting anything flash for my budget - just tidy and not too outdated. Don't wanna have to do any work on it urgently. Character would be a bonus.

I want the second bedroom to be just for visitors or people who need a short-term crash-pad. Don't really want a permanent flatmate. I want it to just be Kate Land. Everything chosen, arranged and cleaned by me. No negotiation, compromises or walking on egg-shells. No feeling guilty for using up band-width watching YouTube videos or keeping my heater on because it's cold or leaving dishes on the bench for a day or two (though, am very keen to get another house with a dish-washer - they're essential!). White with splashes of red and other warm colours. Clean lines. Culture and pretty things dotted around on walls and bookshelves. Quirky and colourful cushions. Somewhere to hang coats. Coffee tables you can put your feet up on.

I'll need to buy a few new things straight away (maybe beforehand, depending on current flatmates dispersing):
  • big TV
  • washing machine and dryer
  • vacuum (mine just broke)
Then there'll be other things I realise I need, but which aren't urgent such as:
  • toaster and kettle
  • a decent set of pots and pans
  • bed for spare room
  • new lounge suite (I've wanted this for a year or so but figure I'll wait to see what kind of space I have to work with - rather than accidentally get something that ends up being too big or the wrong colour)
  • a robot dog
My mind-set has totally changed, though. I am getting excited rather than anxious about the prospect of buying a house. I am going to start stockpiling kitchen appliances I'll need at Briscoes sales and the like (just bought a spice rack and some knives today which I don't really need in current flatting situation, but I felt like 'nesting' 'cause I'd just had a two hour long lunch with Julie, talking about how to buy a house and stuff).
Who knows if it will take a month or a year. That's the scary bit.
I'm going to my first open home with Cassie along for emotional support on Sunday.

No comments: