Why are there ants on my laptop moniter? I keep killing them but they keep coming back. Just two at a time. No trail. Stealth.
I love that ants die so easily.
2. Frisbee
The season has started again. We had a 20-9 loss, which may sound bad but was actually ok.
We're usually playing teams that can pass the Frisbee the length of the field whereas we take a whole bunch of little passes. It's kinda like when you play an awesome 2 point shooting team in netball but pretty much stay with them (just scoring half the points cause you're only getting ones). We grafted pretty hard for our points and I'm sure there were lots of little mistakes we'll weed out as we get used to it again.
Having said that, I'm not implying that we stayed with them really. They were fitter, taller, more experienced and better. But I think they layed off us a bit of defence (either that or they're a pretty lazy team) so we got some passes strung together. We're all much, much better catchers than we used to be :)
Was nice to see Lew and Amelia again. And Mash gave us a bit of control on offence and a long-pass option (which led to a beautiful run by Lew for a point).
I had fun. I didn't like it too much when I had to chase the little red-shirt girl all over the field. But other than that it was fun. My body is built and conditioned to run exactly the length of a basketball court (and then rest for a minute). The field is twice that length. I wanted to stop half-way but the red-shirt girl kept running. Cruel. Bring on basketball season with dimensions I can handle at a sprint (or fast jog, at least).
I try to play by the motto 'rest on offence' but I just really can't keep up with those fit 'uns no matter how hard I try. Especially in current post-summer shape. Especially!
3. Nesting
I've started thinking more seriously about buying a house. I even went and got a pre-approved mortgage and stuff. I just have to be patient and wait for the right houses to come on the market. My heart in currently set on some kind of two bedroom cottage in Petone for under $400,000. I've seen a few such houses around in the last year or so of passively looking, so hopefully a few more come on the market soon.
In the mean-time I've started spending my disposable income on house stuff. I figure I could do that instead of buying dresses for a bit. I've just had two flatmates move out which has left a few things the flat needed. I usually resent buying stuff like that, but since it's stuff I'll have to buy anyhow it feels less painful to buy some now rather than have to spend thousands all at once when I buy a house. If I can do it bit by bit from my cheque account it will mean my deposit is bigger! I'll put off buying stuff that wears out quickly or needs to be the right size for the house (new manchester and couch).
I have bought
- a big wooden chopping board (one of those checkerboard ones 60% off at Nood)
- a few sharp knives
- a pots and pans set (60% off at Briscoes, bless them)
- a spice rack (one of those awesome magnetised ones)
- a pot-holder
- more giant plastic storage boxes with wheels and lids (to clean out my linen cupboard of crap)
- a rack to put letters, take-away menus etc in
- a dvd player for the lounge ($30 - can't be bothered buying a flash one til they come down in price)
- an iron ($19 from Briscoes down from $70)
I still have to buy the big lounge TV but I'll do that some time this week.
It's quite satisfying! My sharp utility knife is awesome. It cut through a pineapple like it was butter.
4. My Favourite Things
Right now I am loving soda water with lemon and lime cordial. And vanilla-custard flavoured yoghurt. And I'm looking forward to the Fashion Police Golden Globes special. Watching Fashion Police is one of my guilty pleasures.
5. Reading
I just finished reading 'Mister Pip'. It wasn't at all what I expected. It was very easy to read. I thought it was gonna be convoluted for some reason.
Now I have to re-read stuff I'm going to teach. And start planning and stuff. No more reading for leisure!
I have enjoyed using the Michelle Library and will be going back some time though. I don't think I've ever borrowed and returned books this quickly. It's a record.
No comments:
Post a Comment