There seems to be a broccoli shortage at the moment.
I went to the markets today with Reidun and alls I really wanted to get was apples, carrots and a broccoli. And not a single stall had brocollis! Reidun asked one of the store-workers and he said he'd sold all his to New World. It seemed some sort of conspiracy.
Damn those big supermarket chains.
So I had to buy one at Pak 'n Save. And it was almost $3. And it was mangy and will have to be eaten in the next couple of days.
First peanuts, now broccoli.... what will be next???
It really did quite disturb me that they didn't have any at the markets. It was possibly the first time in my life I have had a broccoli craving.... and it was not immediately satiated. It may never happen again now... and I will become surrounded by cheap, lush broccoli and not care at all.
* * *
In less mundane news (possibly), we went on an outing to the Southern Cross for lunch and coffee yesterday (and we found out they now have hot water bottles you can borrow while you're sitting in the garden bar - cute!). And then some shopping....
And I bought a dress. Totally on impulse. I love buying dresses on impulse. Some girls like buying handbags or shoes.... I like dresses. Reidun talked me into it.
Me: Oh, that's a kinda pretty dress....
Reidun: Try it on.
Me: Oh, but I have no need for a new dress....
Reidun: Go on! Just for fun....
Me: Oh, ok...............
[a few minutes later]
Me: (sheepishly peering out for my changing room) .... what do you think?
Reidun: Buy it!
Me: Really?
Reidun: Yes. Buy it.
Then I rationalised it as a dress I could wear to an upcoming baby shower, engagement party and even to work if I was in a girly mood. Practical and multi-purpose. And it's very 1950s house wife (though from Illicit, so house-wife meets funk - it's the shop associated with the graffiti artist Miss Misery, let Marty tell you the story about his $10 Miss Misery bargain sketch some time....). And black, so I can wear it to a funeral, should the ocassion arise. And pretty enough that I could wear it to a funeral and meet some exotic foreign man (obviously not a blood relative) and start an illicit affair with him because I looked strangely alluring in my preppy-yet-sophisticated black sailor dress. That scenario just came to me.....
I would actually never have walked into Illicit, beings as it looks all emo and trendy.... but they have really gorgeous feminine dresses with high waists (which suits me fine!). I am glad I have discovered this haven of girliness - will revisit it when it comes time to splash out on my yearly birthday-come-prize-giving outfit......
I'd say wearing dresses is one of my favourite things about being a girl. Something oddly empowering about wearing a lovely swishy dress. The last impulse dress I bought was my blue-dress, which has come in very handy. I love my blue-dress. I need more excuses to wear it!
* * *
We are being EROed this week. Bleh. That will make for a slightly tense staff..... I hope we get a morning tea shout at the end of the week!
* * *
I rang Dad for father's day. The first thing he said was, 'Oh - I'd forgotten it was Father's Day!' (and he wasn't being sarcastic - men in my family don't remember events and dates). The second thing he said was, 'Who reminded you about it?' To which I replied, 'I'm insulted, Father! [pause] .... Reidun.'
Even Kyle had rung his dad up (he'd only planned on sending a text). They all put me to shame.....
No comments:
Post a Comment