[totally ripped off a student there - she did a great poem about what it feels like on Friday afternoon, waiting for the clock to hit 3.30pm at school]
So, Friday was ok. Period 1 I was with my Year 13s, trying to model how to propose a topic for a feature article. I'd had two Year 12 girls come in the day before for us to interview and we were seeing what we'd do with them. One is in the Wellington wrestling league (that's WWF styles - no kidding!). She was really interesting to talk to. The other one has started writing and singing her own songs.
Then I had one of my Year 9s, and quite of few of them were away so it was a cute little class. We did jigsaw-poems where they get a jumbled up list of words and have to make a poem out of them (much like fridge-poetry magnets). They were so nicely behaved that I sat down and figured out a few poems of my own (one about a lady sitting by her husband's ashes and another about a man giving a scarlet orchid in a box to a crush, and then getting rejected and smashing it up). The pesky childrens kept coming up to my desk proudly to show me their poems and interupting my creative flow though....
Then I had a non-contact and had two intersting phone messages to reply to. The first one was from some Health Dept looking into whether the indoor netball teams that played on Sunday had the same virus that a bunch of kids had gotten from the playground downstairs (and subsequently been shut down over). The second was from a TV reporter, from 20/20 or 60 Minutes (I forget which one) whose daughter is in my Media class and who volunteered to come in and talk to us about journalism. Sweet! I'm all for high profile guest speakers.
Then, lunch-time was Film Club. My two leaders have instigated a tradition of having turns bringing snacks. One of them secretly revealed to me that she was bringing afghans. She has this kinda unselfconscious enthusiasm and the way she whispered the word with this wide-eyed look made it seem like you couldn't ask for a more magical snack. And they were good. She promised to bring me an especially big one... which she did. I jokingly said to put a giant 'K' on it with cornflakes or something, so she did. Though, she improved my idea by making it 'KJ' and doing it out of silver balls. It was episode two of 'Donnie Darko'. We're having to watch in installations.
Then..... a fairly standard Media 200 class then watching 'A Bridge to Terabithia' on DVD with my class last period. Sweet end to the day!
As usual on a Friday, a small crew of English-ish teachers headed to the Tasting Room. Then, it was back to school for basketball duties. The Senior B lost but the Senior A won handily (they are 3-1, and in the top division so that bodes well).
Got home about 9.30pm and watched the tail end of American Idol with Reidun and Kyle. Then we watched that show where they have answered lie-detector questions.... we are becoming slightly addicted to that.

Today me and Reidun went up the coast to kite fly on Raumati Beach. It was fun.
I bought this brooch at a second-hand store. I like the curvy swirly bits.

The End.
So, Friday was ok. Period 1 I was with my Year 13s, trying to model how to propose a topic for a feature article. I'd had two Year 12 girls come in the day before for us to interview and we were seeing what we'd do with them. One is in the Wellington wrestling league (that's WWF styles - no kidding!). She was really interesting to talk to. The other one has started writing and singing her own songs.
Then I had one of my Year 9s, and quite of few of them were away so it was a cute little class. We did jigsaw-poems where they get a jumbled up list of words and have to make a poem out of them (much like fridge-poetry magnets). They were so nicely behaved that I sat down and figured out a few poems of my own (one about a lady sitting by her husband's ashes and another about a man giving a scarlet orchid in a box to a crush, and then getting rejected and smashing it up). The pesky childrens kept coming up to my desk proudly to show me their poems and interupting my creative flow though....
Then I had a non-contact and had two intersting phone messages to reply to. The first one was from some Health Dept looking into whether the indoor netball teams that played on Sunday had the same virus that a bunch of kids had gotten from the playground downstairs (and subsequently been shut down over). The second was from a TV reporter, from 20/20 or 60 Minutes (I forget which one) whose daughter is in my Media class and who volunteered to come in and talk to us about journalism. Sweet! I'm all for high profile guest speakers.
Then, lunch-time was Film Club. My two leaders have instigated a tradition of having turns bringing snacks. One of them secretly revealed to me that she was bringing afghans. She has this kinda unselfconscious enthusiasm and the way she whispered the word with this wide-eyed look made it seem like you couldn't ask for a more magical snack. And they were good. She promised to bring me an especially big one... which she did. I jokingly said to put a giant 'K' on it with cornflakes or something, so she did. Though, she improved my idea by making it 'KJ' and doing it out of silver balls. It was episode two of 'Donnie Darko'. We're having to watch in installations.
Then..... a fairly standard Media 200 class then watching 'A Bridge to Terabithia' on DVD with my class last period. Sweet end to the day!
As usual on a Friday, a small crew of English-ish teachers headed to the Tasting Room. Then, it was back to school for basketball duties. The Senior B lost but the Senior A won handily (they are 3-1, and in the top division so that bodes well).
Got home about 9.30pm and watched the tail end of American Idol with Reidun and Kyle. Then we watched that show where they have answered lie-detector questions.... we are becoming slightly addicted to that.

Today me and Reidun went up the coast to kite fly on Raumati Beach. It was fun.
I bought this brooch at a second-hand store. I like the curvy swirly bits.
I bought these two wee limited edition prints at a craft shop in Raumati. It had a bunch of little prints I would have loved to buy. Some with insects sketched, some with native trees sketched.... This is a makaka and a fucshia.
The End.
2 comments:
I saw the story about Indoor too. Health unaffected
It was a fairly mysterious message he left on my phone, this serious sounding guy saying he was ringing in regards to the Mclovin team, from the Ministry of Health.... I was wondering what the heck we'd done......
Post a Comment