
Me and Reids are joining the Mighty Kites (anyone seen that Scrubs episode? Season 3, episode 11). She got introduced to kite flying by her friends and has now purchased two large kick-ass kites of her own (1.5m and 3.5m). She took me for a spin with the little one today. It was fun. Kinda cathartic. You just fly the kite and kinda forget about everything but yourself and the kite and the wind for a while. I see what she enjoys about it.
She is a kite-evangelist and is keen to introduce more people to kite-flying if you're interested. Sounds like the park by St Pats in Kilbirnie and a park on the Esplanade in Petone are the top-notch windy places with lots of space for enthusiasts.
Update:
Went out again today (Sunday) with Sam and Damon in tow. Petone was a no-go, so we headed up to the abandonned school up in Maungaraki. Perfect! I love the 'whooosh' sound the kite makes when in full pendulum-like motion. I started off roughly, putting a few dents into Bumble and making Damon fear for his life as I dive-bombed the ground..... But got the hang of it as winds picked up. I still feel a little like I'm trying to tame a wild mustang...... Reidun, on the other hand, looks like she and the kite are as one in a blissful zen-like state. Sam and Damon, being more aerodynamically minded and having greater spacial awareness than me, caught on quite quick. You would think that my name (Kate) being only one letter away from the word 'kite' would give me some kind of advantage.... a kinship of sorts.... but, no.
* * *
On being newly single.
[blather deleted]
I'm ok with it. Feeling very much myself! [don't read any unintended inuendo into that]
No comments:
Post a Comment