Tuesday, November 07, 2006

No Time!

I had to a million little magazine things today. I literally did not have more than two minutes of down-time all day. Any time I was actually not doing anything I was sitting at a screen watching a file-transfer and willing it to transfer faster, or waiting for pages with lots of pictures on them to print faster..... NOW NOW NOW. HURRY HURRY HURRY. Printer coming at 4pm. Gotta get it done.

I only taught two classes. One of them I left happily watching Carrie. The other one expected me to TEACH them. The cheek. Of course, I refused and merely gave them a bunch of handouts and told them to read and highlight. I had too much to do. NO TIME, NO TIME! I sent two girls on a mission to get photos from the special needs unit and find out the names of the school librarians. Another girl went and tracked down a 7th former who had a free period and could type something out for us. It was like a working-bee.

I ate not much and drank some coffee (which my colleague generously got for me while I was glued to my computer screen). It was an adrenalin day. I think I had a wild-eyed look to me. Nobody got in my way. Not that I get cranky when I'm busy - you can just tell by the way I'm moving (with much purpose and tunnel-vision) that I'm in a zone. People pity me for having the magazine burden. I get away with not going to meetings. That's a perk.

The printer-lady came and collected what we'd done thus-far (pretty much everything except the cover and front page). It was all written to CDs, labelled, printed out with explanatory notes and there was a master-checklist. It was an impressive pile. The only things we haven't got yet are things other people haven't done. I only have so much leverage over the principal when it comes to my deadlines.... she is a force unto herself. I think her motto is, 'Deadlines, schmedlines'.

Then I had to get home, have tea, wax legs and be off to basketball by 7pm. Basketball was much fun! I have a sore back so I hobbled around a bit, but got very puffed and scored lots of points. I even did a few 'flash' things like get steals and do cross-over dribbles to beat players down the court. (I love playing against kids!) We lost by two again - damned 40 point handicap.

Am tired now. Have to consider what to teach tomorrow...... Can't wait for next week to be over.....

Me think I'm running on empty...... Need a day at work where I can sit down for half an hour and do the Sudoku in the paper and eat a proper lunch.

Need to buy something pretty to wear to prizegiving which goes with a 'rose pink' hood and gown.

Hope my class buys me a nice corsage (one of the better school traditions - and you're always supposed to act 'surprised' when they present it to on the night and act dumb when they surreptisiouly ask what your favourite colour is beforehand). You look like a loser-teacher if your class forgets to give you one. Hasn't happened to me yet but my form-captain isn't very organised. Might have to organise a backup. Anyone got a good flower-garden at home?

No comments: