1. Corsage (beautiful and rose pink to go with my BA hood)
I am mildly concerned about my corsage progress. It is a school tradition that form captains organise for the class to buy a colour-coordinated corsage to go with their teacher's graduation hood and gown for our prize-giving. My form captain has known about this for a week.... and today, last period she is talking to me in the hallway and mid-sentence gets one of those lightbulb expressions and suddenly says.... 'Wait out here, Miss!' and runs into the classroom (having just remembered about having to organise this for tomorrow night).
I catch the tail-end of her talk to the class as she says, 'And don't tell Miss!'
* Note that the girls at our school call all female teachers 'Miss' - some are at first put off by not being addressed by their full names, but I like it.
I tell her when she comes out that teachers whose classes don't manage to get them corsages look like 'losers'.
I am crossing my fingers.
2. Becs
Hey Cass - Becs is engaged! Since last week. Getting married over in Samoa in January. About time - she has already picked out a dress.
3. Reading Books
Matt rang up on Friday and said, "What're you up to?" I answered, quite earnestly that I was reading a book.
I think he thought I was trying to get sympathy out of him - but really, I was enjoying reading my book. I was enthralled and not at all embarrassed about that being my Friday night plan. I haven't read a good book in ages.
He took pity on me and requested I go pick him up, get pizza and DVDs and hang out for the evening. We watched V for Vendetta which was kinda interesting, though not genius. Wouldn't be a bad lesson to leave for a Media Studies class (with some theoretical questions on 'censorhip' and 'propoganda'). I guess it's nice that the Nazi-like dystopia was happening in England, showing that any society can fall prey to fascist leaders in the right circumstances.
4. No more big kids!
I taught three of my classes for the last time ever today. They are off for exams now. I am happy to wave them off and say, 'Good luck!'.
This is offically the start of 'cruise time' for secondary school teachers. For example, I have one class to teach on Wednesday, no classes at all on Thursday and one class on Friday.
What do I do to fill in the time? Whatever I darned well like! Little projects I'd never find the time to do at other times of the year. I might even start using the school gym equipment for lunch-time workouts (maaaaybe). I will plan in advance for next year's classes..... I will prepare for my roll as 'The Caterpillar' in my form class's pantomime of Alice in Wonderland. I will finally mark my form class's assignments for last term...... (shhhhh).
3 comments:
I want to know what "censorhip" might be -- the way that the "cool" crowd control the discourse by frowning on anything that diminishes their power?
Yay! Someone else thinks it's kinda interesting, though not genius... well, I haven't seen the film, but I read the comic, and thought it was kinda interesting though not genius. Alan Moore is overrated.
And on the basis of the comic, I could imagine the film would be good for media studies. We had to study the film version of 1984 in 6th Form, and I think that was the best way to have encountered both the work and the genre.
Hell yeah, censorhip has something to do with why Christina and Britney get away with their kiddi-porn videos.... somehow.
Yeah... I didn't think it was genius because the allusions to Nazi Germany were fairly obvious - but as a teacher of the English language I like the idea of words and ideas garnering power.
Post a Comment