Sunday, November 05, 2006

Haven't blogged in what feels like a whlie. I left my laptop at school accidentally and have had a busy-yet-unproductive weekend.

* * *
Men vs Women

Men interpret things weirdly. I was in town on Friday night, around 8pm and gave Matt a ring to see what he was up to. He was just on his way home from work drinks, said he was 15mins away. So, I said (and I quote) "How about I meet you at Fusion then?" Fusion is a clothes shop in Manner's St that is open late on a Friday night.

Anyhow.... I went in there and loitered around looking at clothes for a while, then thought I'd better try something on or else the shop assistants would start to look at me funny. Besides which, if I liked it I could get Matt to give a second opinion.

Half an hour later, he hadn't shown up. And other than my time in the cubicle (which was lengthy, I try things on slowly.... then retry them ....) I had kept an eye out for him. I ended up purchasing a couple of things and thought I'd better leave. I gave him a call and said, "Where are you?" He said he was at home and invited me around. I was perplexed by that - thinking my plan had been entirely clear and foolproof.

Turns out he had interpreted 'at Fusion' as 'outside Fusion' and hadn't gone in. He'd stood outside for a while, gone home (around the corner) and come back and stood outside a while more. Never once thinking to go IN. Now, I had stood outside for a minute while I called him and felt very ill-at-ease due to the congregation of drunken homeless people perched on the benches around there. So I wouldn't have suggested loitering in that locale for very long.

Having surveyed a few of my girl friends, we all see 'at Fusion' as meaning 'IN Fusion'. Why would you NOT go and browse while waiting for someone???

Do boys think differently?

* * *

POOL CHAMP

Hey Sam - I won a pool competition at work. It was inter-departmental and each department had two pairs competing, with the total points added together at the end. Me and my pair ended up winning five out of six games - we rocked! I think it was because while I wasn't the best player, I was very solid and my parnter wasn't crap. Most other pairing had one good player and someone comically terrible. Anyhow, my competitive streak may have surfaced again... English ended up beating Maths in the final, due to us strategically leaving six balls on the table and them missing the black....... Who says English teachers are no good at sports???

* * *

I greatly enjoyed Ken and Holly's BBQ on Saturday. I like that bunch of friends. Very easy to mingle with. I like a party where you can crank up the Beach Boys and sing along too! And who woulda thought, but Ant was right and fresh pineapple goes beautifully with fresh basil leaves....

I think 15 minutes of fireworks is plenty. I was well ready for the finale. Loved those floaty ones that hung in the air for a few seconds and left little tails behind them - like golden rain (not that I could use that term in front of Ryan without having to restrain him).

* * *

Luncheoned with my dad and Lynne on Sunday. Caught up on family gossip. How envious am I of my step-brother who has started a new consultancy firm and rather than rent an office in town, decided it would be wiser to buy a whole floor of offices in Lambton Quay and use a few and rent out the rest to other people...... He's r-i-c-h. They own a 'couple' of apartments in town too.

A cute thing was my one-year-old neice. Apparently she was sitting on Dad's knee, reading one of those books with textures in it you can touch. She came to an amimal one that had a 'furry' patch to touch. She sat there for ages, touching the book and then very carefully touching a tuft of Dad's chest-hair that was sticking out of the top of his chest, with the same finger. He said you could just see her going through a thought process, thinking 'Mummy and Daddy aren't furry - but Merv is... hmmmmmm....... Furry.' How fun to see kids learning and making connections!

I might be going to Elton John with them. Fun!

* * *

Work has been busy. I have been immersed in magazine-stuff. I took two days of relief and buried myself in the workroom all day, not even making time for a proper lunch break. So many little things to do and perfect. Haven't got a cover idea yet.... that's a worry....

Because magazine-stuff in consuming me at work people feel sorry for me and always give me sympathetic looks and say, 'How's the magazine going?' I think it gives me a bit of lee-way on my actual teaching at the moment. I let one class watch 'Friday the 13th' as relief. I actually WAS relevant to our study on the horror genre..... but also a slightly dodgey thing to show them.............. Oh well! I am bullet-proof at the moment because they don't pay me any extra for doing the magazine. They owe ME. Perhaps I have become a little complacent and arrogant................

* * *

Cautiously planning birthday stuff for the 25th of November. Pencil it in if you're keen. I haven't made any bookings yet but should do this week.

* * *

Looking forward to the first game of the netball season! I haven't done anything sporty in ages! I think my legs have become pure sticks of skin and lard stuck together by god knows what. All my muscles have disappeared since I don't walk to work anymore. Cars are a bad thing! Expensive and bad for your health! James is away watching Pearl Jam in Aussie, so I'll accept his apologies. Everyone else should be there.

* * *

6 comments:

fish said...

I would be at netball if I knew what time to go. Is it 7pm? That rings a bell...

Sam and I are in Napier Nov 25/26 for a wedding, but don't change your plans for us. Maybe we can take you out for tea on the Friday?

Anonymous said...

I would assume that if you said 'at Fusion' you meant 'in Fusion' rather than outside it.

It could be some weird boy thing - my dad used to have this thing when I was a teenager if he came to pick me up from places where he wouldn't come inside, he'd just stay in the car until I came out.

Also I wonder whether for a lot of guys going into a clothes shop *is* actually more scary than hanging around with a bunch of homeless people outside? :-)

fish said...

Sam informs me we are in Napier Friday also! Ah well...

Incidentally I would have met you *in* Fusion too :) Of course if I had arrived early I wouldn't have done much browsing or trying on as I'm sure nothing would fit me anyway.

Not Kate said...

But Matt LIKES clothes. And he likes the kinda clothes they have in Fusion..... hence it seemed a good meeting place to mill around in......

Boys are silly.

Off-Black said...

Hang on, James is where? Doing what? Damn, I envy.

Boys are silly but they also think in completely different ways to girls. Diversity is good.

Andrew said...

Being a boy, it doesn't strike me as a boy thing :P

The boy thing though would be insisting afterwards that it was obvious that 'at' implied 'outside' even though you had ceased to believe this from the moment your girlfriend had phoned to ask where you were.

Try to think of this as endearing...

Oh, and one difference between men and women is that men will probably feel marginally less uncomfortable around dodgy homeless guys - or at least I reckon we're slightly more oblivious to our personal safety.