Friday, July 23, 2010

Svend brings up a good point. If the Spice Girls are to the younger generation what Abba was to us...... what else can we compare.....

Maybe the Jimi Hendrix of our generation was Jeff Buckley. Maybe Jack Johnson was the Donavan.

Alanis Morisette was the the Janis Joplin (though a poor substitute), or maybe Tracy Chapman is better. Britney Speares was the Judy Garland.

I can't quite figure out who Nirvana equal.

2 comments:

Off-Black said...

I'd put Nirvana as vaguely equating to Led Zeppelin, just in terms of influence alone.

Figured out recently that Charlotte will relate to the '80s the way we relate to the '50s in terms of time passed since.

Not Kate said...

I was thinkinga bout that comparison for Nirvana, but thought maybe that was giving them too much credit.

We have no Beatles.... maybe U2 are the closest in terms of general respect or longevity. But not a great comparison. Maybe Pearl Jam are our Rolling Stones.

Lenny Kravitz definitely wanted to be our Jim Morrison.

I don't think Charlotte's view of the 80s will be that archaic in that the 50s really was the start of rock n roll.... so it was like the beginning of time.... at least the 80s will sit somewhere in teh middle for Charlotte.... there will be older stuff to make it look more current.... The 1950s to her will then be like gramaphone music to us............