Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Dialogue - anyone can write it!

So, in 'The Room', Tommy uses dialogue to tell the story. Literally. And as Richard pointed out, if he thinks the audience might have missed something (which would be impossible with the sledge-hammer subtlty of the film) he'll repeat it in the next scene.

Say, for example there is a scene where Tommy wants to establish that Lisa (Johnny's fiance) is really in love with Mark, but that it is wrong because Mark is Johnny's best friend... the dialogue would go something like this:

Lisa: Hi Mark - I'm in love with you.
Mark: But I can't do anything.... Johnny's my best friend.
Lisa: But I want your body. I'm not in love with him anymore.
Mark: But he's my best friend!
Lisa: I know he's your best friend, but I don't love him anymore.

Genius. As I tell my classes, 'Show, don't tell'.

It is pointed out so many times that Mark is Johnny's best friend that it is custom to yell 'Johnny's your best friend!' any time Mark comes on the screen.

Classic Dialogue - Top Five
1. 'Oh, hi!'

The movie is pretty much a series of people entering and exiting rooms (usually 'The Room' but sometimes the rooftop too). Every time anyone comes in, they are greeted with, 'Oh, hi [insert name]'. Never any surprise or note of bitterness over the fact that these people just keep turning up uninvited.

A classic example follows - Johnny goes up to the tiny rooftop ranting to himself, and about 10 seconds later notices that Mark is up there too. It's easy to miss someone up there....


2. What's in your pocket?

At the surprise party, a mysterious new character turns up and starts talking to everyone like he's a main character. In the credits he comes up as 'Steven' but in reality he got given Peter's lines when the actor left mid-shoot. Tommy didn't feel this needed to be explained or that the script might need amending.... nobody will notice.....

Anyhow, check out this BURN from Mark.



Hell yeah, I'm gonna use that next time someone says something stupid in my comments.

3. Unecessary Redundancies

Lisa: Did you get your promotion?
Johnny: Nah.
Lisa: You didn't get it, did you?

4. Johnny is Smart and So is Lisa
Johnny's response on walking in to The Room to find there's a surprise birthday party for him.

Johnny: Thank you honey, this is a beautiful party! You invited all my friends. Good thinking!

Bonus quote: Tommy researched what people do all day at the bank, so make Johnny's career seem believable. Followed by a masterful deflection question that seamlessly fit into the conversation.

Mark: How was work today?
Johnny: Oh pretty good. We got a new client... at the bank. We make a lot of money.
Mark: What client?
Johnny: I can not tell you, it's confidential.
Mark: Oh come on. Why not?

Johnny: No I can't. Anyway, how is your sex life?

5. Sexy Talk

It realls does sound like a soft-porn....

Lisa: I just wanted to hear your sexy voice. I keep thinking about your strong hands around my body. It excites me so much.

1 comment:

Morgan Davie said...

The funny thing is, Lisa's sexy talk is *exactly* what I used to say to all the girls.

(Girls like it when you compliment them on their strong hands.)